Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer camp starter age? >

Deer camp starter age?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer camp starter age?

Old 08-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer camp starter age?

if your deer camps anything like the ones i stay at its no place for a kid or lady....guys being guys....adults consume a few adult beverages....its a good time....but no place for a kid...i was agtleast 12 my first deer camp...maybe older...then i didnt understand it much....but now im 17 and i understnad....and its no place for a kid under atleast 10....the kid gota beable to take care of himself....and you cant have just one kid there alone if your going to be "guys" and have a good time...the kid wil lgo nuts
Old 08-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

The first year I hunted was 3 years ago, I was 14. That was the first year I went to deer camp. And I was told pretty much to do as I wished as long as I didnt hurt anybody cause "what happens at deer camp, stays at deer camp".
O the stories I could tell

But if your camp is tamer or if yall tone it down a bit, I would say about 9 or 10.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:33 PM

In our camp 3 specific times have always been reserved for males age 12 (legal hunting age) and over. Buck (rifle) season, Bear season, winter camp. Winter camp occurs in late February when we go to camp strictly to eat, drink and play cards. Every other time we go there is always a more important purpose - hunting, fishing, work weekend, so about 10 years ago we instituted Winter Camp, pure relaxation

The last 2 years i have started taking my oldest son (6 now) for one weekend during small game season just so he can experience camp and the woods, but when the first day of rifle rolls around Daddy goes alone.

Other than those 3 times the camp is open to pretty much anyone that wants to go along.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I was 14 my first time at camp with the elders and it made me feel like a man. I myself know I would have been ready at age 12 but the law at that time was 14. I think if its your camp and no one else is around than 6-8 years of age is young enough. Anyone who would bring a child under 5 is kidding himself and has no respect for his fellow club members and is inconsiderate in my opinion. If you want to teach them than do it one on one . Any child under 5 belongs at home and not put threw the sometimes harshness of camp. By the way my children love to hunt and fish and I love it when there with me. But there is a time and place for everything. And who in the world would wake a child up at those ungodly hours to hunt? Do they wake up on their own and then you go hunting or are you forcing the child to wake up because YOU want him to? JMOP

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that when a child no longer needs to be diciplined or taught right from wrong. Then that is the determining factor. Accidents happen all the time, lets try to prevent a few.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

All great answers...........but i am jealous.............i dont have a deer camp i have a turkey camp..........but i wanna deer camp damitt!! I went to one, one time with my uncle when i was like 11yrs old, and i had to carry this old bucket full of his things up this huge hill, and that was my first experience........he shot a nice 8pt on that die with his 30/30, ill never forget it, we could drink from the creek, and guys passed out taking a nap, it was kewl. I have a 7yr old and a two yr old, my 7yr old goes when i think its appropriate, if i go on a afternooon hunt that is when i take him, but hopefully ill have a deer camp when he is really old enough. I would like that very much
Old 08-17-2004, 10:49 AM

I feel the kid should be at least 12 yrs for deer camp (opening day) I want to make sure the kid can understand what's going on. I want the kid to be able to go out in the stand and SIT STILL for awhile, old enough where he's not complaining about the cold etc. I consider Camp sacred. I would'nt want to put any stress on the other guys, it's their vacation too.

Now, there can be a different type of "camp". That could be a more of a one on one thing with your kid(s) Or you and your buddy(s) could have a designated week/weekend that you bring all the kids that may be interested as spend time outside, at camp, in the woods, around the fire, target practice, etc. The kids have a blast & you can spend more time with them. I think they will appreciate this a little more anyway. You can use this time period to prepare them for what the "real thing" is all about.

Great topic - thanks
Old 08-17-2004, 01:16 PM

Frankly I think this is like smoking rights in a way.

if you have two participants at deer camp, one with kids and one w/out. the guy w/ kids has a right to bring them but the guy w/out kids has a right to kidless deer camp. I for one look to hunting as an adult hangout (I admit I have no kids). It irritates me when some of my hunting partners bring their kids because when we used to all head to teh bar for a steak and a copule beers, now we have to take into consideration what the kids want. Not fair for me. I made the decision earlier this year that I am taking care of myself first and if others decide to tag along w/ me, I run the show. Otherwise they can make their own decisions (where we hunt is 9 hrs away, so normally one person drives ---typically me).

The thing that gets me po'd is that noone ever asks if it is ok to bring their kids. I might not mind so much if it was asked of everyone...."do you mind if I bring my kid?"

beej
Old 08-17-2004, 02:37 PM

I took both of my boys hunting when they were 9 years old. Each got bucks. Deer camp in Oh.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:47 PM

I got to thinking about this a little more, and the kid should be able to stand up to some ribbing too. i know in our camp with teh all the uncles and cousins everybody is going to get laughed at for missing a deer or laughed at for spilling their near full bag of cashews in the mud(wasnt me, i swear it)..i think about 10 is right. hunta couple years without a gun, get that safety stuff in their head, learn woodsmanship, and then be able to shoot at 12. deer camp is always a bonding experience for us and our family, but theres alot of stuff that gets talked about that would be way over an 8 year olds head. it all comes down to a parental decision i guess.

slayer
Old 08-17-2004, 03:07 PM

I can understand those that don't want kids in camp. Hey it's fun to hang out with the guys. But as someone with a couple of carpet comandos that can't wait to come out to deer camp and see me I have to agree with the guys with kids. All things change over time, and you must roll with the changes.

If you can't handle the kids then my suggestion is to find another set of guys that don't have kids. Shouldn't be that hard to find life long friends that will drag a deer up a coulee though a briar patch, accross a swamp to your pickup that you drove out there, (gee thanks for driving it's so much worth it to drag your 4 pointer 2 miles up hill in the blizzard because you put so much milage on your beat up suburban, goodness I would never get out hunting if it were not for you) I mean how hard can it be to get yourself invited to an all guys deer camp? Maybe you can google gay-hunting-camps-looking-for-straight-guys-without-kids? You may be able to stay away from all of the little future hunters out there. Lord knows you were never a pain in the behind when you started hunting.

Good luck to you guys