Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beavers

Old 08-15-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Beavers

I need some advice. The Property I hunt appears to have a Beaver problem. They are reaking havoc on the trees in the woods. The final straw was drawn when one began nawing on the tree i place my trail cam on. I checked our state regs and we can only kill them legally between Dec 1 and March 20. Any ideas as to how I can discourage the little flat tailed b@sta@rds from chewing on trees in my area? I've never poached in my life, but i dont know if I can wait until 12/1 to do something about this problem.

Thanks for any input!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:03 PM

Default RE: Beavers

POISON......just kidding dont do that...we had a problem wieh them to but we can harvest em during hunting season.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:06 PM

I don't if it will work on beavers, but maybe a Havahart trap?
Old 08-15-2004, 10:11 PM

there really isnt a thing that u can do. u cannot trap them and if u kill a beaver...GOOD NIGHT. your butt aint ever seen no fines not to mention jail time. there are a number of reasons for the strict laws, as they pertain to beavers. have u ever purchased a beaver caot for your wife?? if there werent strict laws, people would just kill them for profit. secondly they are a beautiful recource and have more rights to the trees than us on the real, beaver do not hit on to many trees. they build there house and that is about it. they will hit trees here and there, but they cant empty a forest hey, good luck.

i have, by the way, crushed many beavers over the years hey, i am single
Old 08-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe check with the your state wildlife management office. I recall problem beavers in an area damaging trees on private ground and another group causing water diversion / roadway danger of flooding issues. They (WCO) may get involved if you have the landowner make a complaint based on erosion or personal property damage. Trees are valuable and if they chewing anything but State forest growth, the WCO *may* try for a relocation. Just a thought.

'Course, you could always grab a rimfire / mag light combo and make a beaver pelt coat too... [8D] Just kidding!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:34 AM
Typical Buck

Beavers can and usually will destroy a forested area very quickly. You can get those humane traps that animal control uses on cats or raccoons and bait them. Check with your local wildlife manager, they will help you with your problem/.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:08 AM

I agree with JollyArcher, you should be able to call your conservation officer and they will put you in touch with the righht people. We had a problem with 2 beavers this spring and the Conservation Officer put us in touch with a state licensed trapper to remove them... they turned a whole little valley into a swamp/pond in less than a year... pesky little critters about the time they downed 2 trees that nocked down our power lines that was the last stray... they had to go...

Scott
Old 08-16-2004, 08:25 AM

I was having a problem with the things last year, and was able to get a depredation (sp) permit. trapped 2 of them and the rest took off, guess they got the message. it's amazing how much damage they can do in a couple of months.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:35 AM

Put a little wire mesh fence around your tree. I've never seen beavers chew through wire. Unless it's in your front yard why are you worried about the other trees besides the one your camera is on.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

The wire fence method does really work. You are never going to get rid off all the beavers, and you should not really want to. Mise as well save a few nice trees expecally if they allready started to knaw on them a little. Be sure not to put the wire to tight, the tree has to be able to grow. Its not a bad idea to have it break away easily also you may not be checking them for some reason someday. A beaver wont even tug on wire. I would still trap a few out during the season , not to mention having a pelt around is pretty cool to.

Quick Reply: Beavers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.