Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ARE YOU QUALIFIED? >

ARE YOU QUALIFIED?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ARE YOU QUALIFIED?

Old 08-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ARE YOU QUALIFIED?

Hey Capt. Ray is it tyndall thats doing that? The one year I hunted tyndall they didn't require that.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:30 PM

I disagree with bowhunter education courses. I think a Hunter's safety course is all that should b needed. sure, you have a few guys out there that might not know what they're doing,but think about it: we have so many publications and internet sources that most people havea pretty good idea of how to go out and hunt with a bow.

slayer
Old 08-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

We don't need to do this as long as we are hunting in Canada,but if we plan on hunting in the States we have to be certified with the Archery Association .I think it's a good idea because there's a lot of guy's who really need it .I'm alway's looking for new thing's to learn and I'm sure this program will be a great source of information.It's not mandatory as of yet unless your planning on traveling outside Canada ,so this means in the next couple of years it'll be mandatory for anyone . It's a great idea.

nubo
Old 08-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

gulfcoasthunter, it is not Tyndall but rather TRF Kings Bay Georgia. I think you have all hit some very valid points worth consideration, Arthur P brings up a very good one in where do you draw the line. I do like the comfort of knowing that their is some degree of skill walking around in the woods. Last year while hunting Tyndall Air Force base I saw a lot of gut shot deer, as well as deer that where never recovered due to poor shot placement. But, by imposing a skill requirement you do stand the risk of raising the bar to high for the average hunter to enjoy the sport. Then again, you will force the "couch potatoes" to put in the time needed to ethically harvest an animal and become proficient with "their" gear. Just some food for thought. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:28 PM

Capt Ray,

There are a few areas here in Maryland that require you to qualify with your bow/gun/muzzleloader prior to hunting on their land. Both, if I'm not mistaken, are federal land. One being Beltsville Agricultural Research Center and the other being portions of the Patuxent Wildlife Refuge. Certain managed gun hunts on state land also require you to have a State of Maryland qualification card.

Regarding my opinion of this requirement... I don't think it hurts to require qualification, but shooting at a target and shooting at a deer are two different things. I've known people who shoot well at a target, but can't handle the moment of truth...

MD Piney
Old 08-12-2004, 09:32 AM

I completely agree with bnhcomputing. I can shoot with just about anybody
25 yds and in and personally in the areas I hunt I wouldn't think of taking a shot much farther than that. So since I'm not going to shoot a deer farther than that I dont practice from farther than that.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, all I need in the world is for another one of my civil liberities being shot down the drain. Hunting is a sport. Not everybody is great at a sport right when they start but if they practice because they like the sport then they will end up being pretty good at it. I think the idea is ridiculous and I know my grandfather didn't take any classes and he is a great bowhunter. I think anybody who is serious about bowhunting will take it upon themselves to become great at it!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:46 PM

I agree as well
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I think it's a great idea and should be done on a regular basis prior to purchasing or acquiring a archery permit. I also wish all states would go to the required NBEF class that many states already have in place. Too many weekend nonproficient warriors out there. IMO
Old 08-12-2004, 01:50 PM

It's hard to say one is qualified. All I can say is that I take the kids to every 3-d shoot I can find in my area, all summer long. In addition, we shoot in the back yard as well. At 20 and 30 yards, it's done but at 50, I wouldn't even try.

To me qualified means knowing you limitations, and then not going beyond them.
Agree with this 100%.

B
Old 08-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

here in Jersey, in order for you to get your ARCHERY LICENSE, you have to put 3 out of 5 arrows in a 12" circle from 20 yards. New Jersey has one GREAT hunter education system. best around i think. if ya want more info about what you gotta do in jersey in order to hunt, let me know.

Quick Reply: ARE YOU QUALIFIED?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.