Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cover Your Fletching? >

Cover Your Fletching?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cover Your Fletching?

Old 08-10-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Cover Your Fletching?

For those of you who hunt with more than one white fletch or white cresting for that matter... Do you cover the fletching portion of your arrows while hunting? I noticed on a hunting video the other night that the hunter being video taped had a camo cover over his white fletching (and he was hunting from a stand). Just curious as to the amount of folks who take this precaution while using an elevated stand.

Thanks,
MD Piney
Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 PM

Default RE: Cover Your Fletching?

I plan on taking my quiver off my bow once I get into the stand. As long as the arrows aren't bouncing around in the stand you shouldn't have to worry about it. Deer notice movement more than they do color anyhow.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've done it in the past but stopped it a couple years ago, no reason, just stopped. What I did was get a camo handkerchief and cut it into strips fold them over and sew 3 sides together leaving one side opened. They were 7" as the fletching was 5". The finished product would fit snugly over the fletch and held there with a rubber band. It wasn't anything to just give a pull on the end and off the arrow it cam. Each arrow had it's own cover.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I too take my quiver off and have a bracket on my stand to hold it. The only time I cover them is if it's raining or snowing. Then I just pull out a quart ziplock bag and carefully feed it over the top of my feathers and poke a nock or two through the bottom of the bag. Pinch it between the arrows and on the ends and it'll stay in place.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've used two white and one yellow for years, that and flo yellow and orange and I've never had a deer spook because of the fletch.......but then again, I do hunt high.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:40 PM

I also use 2 white feathers and a yellow feather with chartreuse nocks. Never used a cover. Never had a deer look at the arrows as far as I know of. I usually have a bungee cord in the tree with me. I try to secure my quiver somehow so it doesn't swing in the breeze. It never been a problem with deer in range, so I doubt deer farther out (the ones I might not see) are bothered either.

peashooter
Old 08-12-2004, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer notice movement more than they do color anyhow.
That sure is true. I had a doe look straight at me for 30 seconds then keep going. The cool part is that I was 8 years old, wearing the hugest brightest flo orange coat with and yellow hat (i'm sure my cheeks were really red too). She looked and I didn't blink. so, I don't worry too much about my fletchings up in the tree.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I prefer dark fletching. Then I don't worry about it.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:05 AM

Most people use Light fletching and cresting to better find the arrow after the shot. Hopefully If a buck is staring at me, the only thing he is going to see is the tip of my broadhead.
I do get what you are saying though, I only take 2-3 arrows with me. 1 Field point, with very bright colors. I usually shoot around the last spot I can see the deer pass, after I have run an arrow in him. I have a problem, once coming down from a stand, finding the "mark" of where I last saw him. If I have an arrow there, I have no doubts. I use this method within reason of course...

Anyone else do this???
I don't think I have ever heard anyone speak of it before...
Old 08-12-2004, 09:10 AM

Epuller, thats a pretty neat idea. I've never thought of it before. Seems pretty obvious now. I'll have to remember that. As far as the fletching goes, I have a hard time believing a deer is gonna get spooked solely from the color of my fletchings.

Quick Reply: Cover Your Fletching?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.