HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rubber boots vs gortex scent supressant boots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/68651-rubber-boots-vs-gortex-scent-supressant-boots.html)

rybohunter 08-10-2004 06:26 AM

Rubber boots vs gortex scent supressant boots

Do you feel that the scent eliminating type boots out there are suitable for archery season? I was thinking that a nice comfy pair would get me thru the early season and double as a spring turkey boot. My rubber boots are heavy, hot and not that comfortable in the early season. Should I pick up an uninsulated rubber pair or go for the scent lock boots?

legacy22 08-10-2004 08:33 AM

RE: Rubber boots vs gortex scent supressant boots

I would say either would be fine. Personally, i'd go with the uninsulated rubber. I guess it depends on your weather, hunting territory, etc.....

adams 08-10-2004 10:11 AM

I have a light pair of unisulated rubbers that I use in the early season. I think either would be fine but the rubbers will be cheaper and easier to keep clean.

OH_RedNeck 08-10-2004 11:14 AM

I realize that rubber boots carry the least amount of scent, but I have never had any problems with my non-rubber boots when it comes to scent control. When I first get a new pair of boots (only have two) I run around the woods in them for several weeks and put them into a air tight bag after each use (make sure they are dry). The boots I wear hunting never touch any thing but the deer woods, not my truck, not anything. When I go hunting or scouting I sit on my tailgate and put my boots on. When I am done I put them right back into their bag. I have had deer walk down the same path I took to get to my stand not a half hour after I walked it.

My point is, I think scent control is the most important thing you can do with your hunting gear, especially your boots and outer garments.

BobCo19-65 08-10-2004 11:24 AM

To tell you the truth, I don't like rubber boots. I hav wore them in the past and no matter what you are going to sweat in them. By the time I take them off at the end of the day, my socks are pretty much saturated. Now to me this is kind of self defeating. You don't want to sweat for a few reasons which I don't want to get into. Even though, odor from the sweat can not go through the rubber, it still has to go somewhere. - Out the top. Even though it is not getting transmitted directly to the ground though the boot, it will still get there, and on you pants, and other places.
To make a long story short, I would go with the gortex, stay dry, and leave your hunting boots in areas where they can not pick up and absorb scent.

davidmil 08-10-2004 01:13 PM

I've always hated rubber boots until I bought a pair of Alpha Burlys. My feet don't sweat in them like they do in plain old rubber boots.

As far as the "Scent Supprescent" boots. This has to be one of the biggest shams going. All this suprescent stuff is supposedly good if you reactivate it. DUHHHHHHHH.... how do you reactivate a pair of boots. No way in he!! can you do it. It's the biggest con going.... but it adds $50-100 to a pair of boots. You're just as well off with plain ole boots and spray them down with something or walk in some cow plops.

WisHunt 08-10-2004 03:04 PM

Rubber Boots, only way to go,

Last year I was wearing gore boots and I sprayed them down with some kind of blast this or that scent killer.

walked down a trial that didn't have any overhanging limbs or high grass, buck came to the trail and stoped right on it. dead sniffed the ground and took off!

Two weeks later the same buck walked right up to me on the same trail. I was wearing my new rubbers baby! never sniffed the trail.

I have Itascas from Gallyans. 600gram insulation.

Good luck,

kevin1 08-10-2004 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: OH_RedNeck

The boots I wear hunting never touch any thing but the deer woods, not my truck, not anything. When I go hunting or scouting I sit on my tailgate and put my boots on. When I am done I put them right back into their bag.
My point is, I think scent control is the most important thing you can do with your hunting gear, especially your boots and outer garments.

You won't let your boots touch the truck but you'll sit on the human smelling tailgate to put them on ? :eek:
BTW , if you put the boots in the bag right after use you just contaminated them , the insides still smell like you . Hope you're dusting the insides with baking soda frequently . ;)