Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which bow to buy... >

Which bow to buy...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which bow to buy...

Old 08-09-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Which bow to buy...

Alright, I'm looking for wisdom.
I want to get started in bowhunting and have no clue which bow is best for the money. My price range is about 500.00 complete. I've been thinking about parker's Ex Hunter Mag???
any input would be great. Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which bow to buy...

Well..
I guess I would have to say if I was starting all over and knew everything I knew now and Had a $500 budget. I would be looking for a Used bow. Say like a 2003 Hoyt. With the 2005s coming out shortly there should be some good deals to be had on some used bows.
That way you get the most technology for your money.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

for 500 complete ready to hunt nothing beats PSE for beginers... easy cheaper and DAMN RELIABLE. i think i had more than dished out enough punishment to both of my PSE's and they have taken it with out saying a word. and they have never let me down.. i bet ya i coudl roll over my nova with a truck and it woudl still shoot straight. and right now most pleaces are having sales on a complete hunter package...
get yourslef a copper johns dead nuts sight, and a whisker bisquit, some nice carbon arrows, and some Nap nitrons or MUZZYS for heads they have never failed me! good luck and what ever you do MAKE SURE YOU SHOOT ALL THE BOWS IN YORU PRICE RANGE.. who knows what i like you might HATE!
above all and i think 99% of teh people on here will tell you the same....

GO TO YOUR LOCAL SHOP. and shoot everything they will let you shoot. what is teh best feeling bow you shoot. i woudl say 99% BUY that bow you will never regret doing that.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:08 PM

Hoyt.... doesn't matter about punishment.... lifetime warrantee
Old 08-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a Mathews man myself. I'd check at the local proshop for a good used Legacy. A hell of a bow and you should be able to get a good sight, drop away rest, half dozen arrows and a release for 5 c notes.

My mean ole wife made me trade my Legacy in on my new Outback.[] I really wanted to keep it for my back up bow.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:40 PM

PSE primos
Old 08-11-2004, 09:04 AM

Last year I went searching for a new bow (about the same price range). I thought I wanted a Hoyt MT sport or one of their others. I shot it, and a couple of PSE Bows, then the salesman at one of the stores gave me a Martin Tracer to try. In the end I found I didn't like the grip on the PSE bows and it felt like they were going to cut the palm of my had when I shot, the Hoyt's were really loud. That Martin just felt great and was well quieter. If I had never shot it I would have been fine with one of the other bows and never known the difference, but I am extremely happy with my choice.

I know people say it all the time, but I now really agree that you need to go shoot them and pick what fits YOU. Hit a couple different shops if you have to, so you get a good variety of bows, and take a week, or a month to decide and be happy with your final decision.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:51 AM

Parker makes a good bow but I have to agree with a PSE. My first was a pse thunderflight express that I shot for 10+ years. I got a new pse and gave the old one to my father who'll be shooting it this year. You just can't beat the price, durability and longevity of a pse. IMHO
Old 08-11-2004, 12:10 PM

When trying out bows, try out as many pro shops as possible as well. You are going to have different experiences with different shops. The time they take to set up the bows for you to try out might just effect your opinion of them. For instance when I was shopping for my new bow I compared a Mathews and a Hoyt. They are both amazing bows, but with similar set ups on an indoor range, the Hoyt was the most quiet of the two. In fact everyone who hears my bow (or sees me shoot but doesn't hear my bow) comments on how it is the quietest bow they have every seen.

This really does not help you with your budget of 500 bucks, but bottom line, do not go by our opinion, go shoot as many bows as you can and buy the one that fits you and your budget. We all bought our bows for similar reasons, but personal preference is the deciding factor.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:38 PM

Yep. Go to a pro shop, find as many as you can in your price range, set them up and shoot 'em all. That will be the only real way you will be really happy. I mean, we can say Hoyt this, or Hoyt that, and by the way, you can't go wrong with a Hoyt, but ultimately it was feels the best to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.