Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which ATV do you prefer for hunting? >

Which ATV do you prefer for hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which ATV do you prefer for hunting?

Old 08-09-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Which ATV do you prefer for hunting?

I was just wondering what type of 4-wheeler you all use for hunting. Where I hunt we have to take some trails for a few miles into paper company land so 4-wheelers work great. Right now i have an 02 sportsman 500HO. It is a nice ATV, a few problems, rides nice and works great for trail riding, but it suck for hunting because there is no room to put anything. I pretty much have to set my treestand on the seat, and i am scared to poke a hole in the seat. Then i have to strap my bow on somehow. You pretty much have to buy alot of accessories if you want to use a sportsman for this application.

My and my dad are going to trade in our sportsman for a new ATV. WE can get an awesome deal on a new sportsman 600, but then we are left with the same problem that i just spoke of. What i am really interested in are the wheelers with the boxes on back. Polaris makes the ATP, but the box is so small it would be hard to fit much of anything in there, and the compartments are tiny. Arctic cat makes the TBX, and that has a great box on the back and big storage compartments, but it is slower and i don't like how it handles. A ranger or a mule would be nice, but are a little bigger than what i am looking for. I need to sneak through trees once and a while.

What do you use?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Default RE: Which ATV do you prefer for hunting?

I got a 350 Honda Rancher 4x4 it get me where i wanna go and has no problem packing a deer on the back.....I dont think you will find a 4 wheeler with enough rackspace without getting a new rack on it, I put the strong made droprack on mine and a bow holder on the front. I know it ain the big-ass "Swampbeast 950"...lol. but I love my rancher. I have yet to find the mudhole worthy of it.....
Old 08-09-2004, 01:43 PM

i go with the grizzly 660..
Old 08-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

get yourself a horse! tie em up to a tree let em graze and walk the rest of the way in. NO i have riden the TBX and its not that bad for speed. although we put some aftermarket stuff on it. like a new exhaust. its alot faster than i remember it being but what i really like is the fact that we have thrown two deer onthe back and it still drove well all the way back about 2 miles out! up and down hills. it is a work horse. i would say go with what is most comfortable though. im not a very BIG guy only 180 so i like the thinner cushions. i dont need anything real thick
Old 08-09-2004, 04:04 PM

My '89 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4.

Not only is it a lot quieter than an ATV it has an enclosed cab, meaning no frozen fingers or frost bitten ears/nose on those cold cold mornings!

Old 08-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

anyone that will do the work hauling that deer out! LOL......kawasaki 360 Parrie 4x4 works for me
Old 08-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Yamaha Grizzly 660, a Polaris 500 Scrambler, and a Polaris Sportsman 90 for my son. I also use Polaris 500 and 700's quite often. They are all great but accessories are really handy. If you goto the website www.montanajacks.com they sell a accessory receiver that is awsome. I copied it and made my own for my grizzly and made the item to plug into it as needed. I made 1 to carry deer stands (5) and items for hanging stands. It also works for carring my decoy and ground blind. and cased bow. I've made other ones for ice fishing 5 gallon pails and power augers. Its endless what you can buy or make with this system.

If you don't want to do that, the next easiest thing is to buy a black heavy duty ice fishing sled (like one made from Otter Manufacturing) They come in every size and are indestructable. I've even pulled mine for miles on blacktop. Sleds are very handy while putting out mineral licks, fertilezing foodplots...putting up stands or making trails.

Good Luck!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:17 PM

Honda Racher 2X4. No need for 4X4 traveling trails.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:09 PM

I have a pair of polaris sportsmen 500 and a pair of kawasaki mules, they all work just fine.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:43 PM

I agree, It depends on what are you are hunting, for one. No need to go overboard if you dont have to. I use my Honda Rubicon 500. It comes fully equiped with a gps even. But, you dont need all that.

Quick Reply: Which ATV do you prefer for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.