Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NAP QuickSpin Information >

NAP QuickSpin Information

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NAP QuickSpin Information

Old 08-09-2004, 09:52 AM

Default NAP QuickSpin Information

I'm thinking about trying the NAP QuickSpin vanes. I've always preferred the weather-proofness of vanes over feathers, but the common thought has been that vanes are not as effective as feathers. Supposedly the QuickSpins are superior to conventional vanes. The only problem for me is that they are so stinking expensive. Cabelas has them for $20 for a 12 arrow's worth. That's expensive to begin with, let alone expensive to maintain. Has anyone found them cheaper than $20 per set, and will a right-helical Arizona fletcher with standard Fletchtite be sufficient for assembly?

Any other QuickSpin advice or testimonials are welcomed. Muchos thank yous.

Edit: I just found this write-up: http://www.broadheadtests.com/FEATURES2.html
Boy, those things are heavy! How much will 30+ grains slow my arrow speed down?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NAP QuickSpin Information

The Quickspin vanes are not worth the money. Me and a buddy of mine purchased them together to try them out. We were very disappointed! Yeah they do help out the spin of the arrow just a little bit but they make a god awful whistling noise flying through the air. And as far as better groups, no improvement for either of us. JMO but I would save your money and put it towards something else man! (and if you want better groups, JUST PRACTICE) these vanes are not the way to go.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:33 PM

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm gathering from my research. I guess the honeymoon is coming to an end with this product. At first they were the rave, but now I'm reading here and on other forums that they are not really worth the money. I was looking forward to rain-proof arrows that still shot accurately, but I think I'll probably stick with the good ol' feathers with some water-proofing powder (silica). At $20-$22 per set, the benefits do not outweigh the costs. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:54 PM

well i have heard many great things about NAP and they have great products that i have used...but i dont know about this whole quick spin thing..i havent done much research if ur telling me that this info. that uve came up with is true..then this must be the only product of nap that hasent been a good product.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

I've got some and have tried them. I fletched the first half dozen with a helical fletch and here are my observations. They do rotate a lot more than standard fletching. They do slow the arrow down, which is noticible. But they shoot just about any broadhead to the point of aim. I haven't noticed any increase in noise. I test this buy shooting by a video camera then listen during the play back. All arrows make noise. If you think any arrow is loud with field points, try it with a broadhead!

Anyway, I'm going to try a half dozen with a slight offset and see how they do.

Standard disclaimer: The proceeding is just my observation, no scientific equipment was used in the testing of these fletching. Just a good dose of common sense.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:33 PM

I grew up in an archery shop making arrows and trying to make them work better. My old man was an archer and an aeronautical engineer and everytime I made up something where I tried putting flaps on vanes (like the NAP) or making a drastic helical , he would always tell me why it would not work.
When ever you use flaps or increase helical to make an arrow spin faster, you also drastically increase the wind resistance which will make noise and slow the arrow down faster and make it lose trajectory.
He would then always give me the example of our old piper cub, when we wanted to slow down to land the plane we would extend the flaps.
when this was done you would feel a tug on your seatbelt from the deacceleration and then the plane would quickly lose altitude.
you feel the same thing when a passanger plane puts the flaps out to land.
All those little flaps on the NAP vanes do is make the arrow spin a little faster, but you lose trajectory, increase noise, and lose penetration because of the speed loss. and you pay about $2.00 for three of them.
Pay more and get less!!!
I have shot and tested a lot of arrows since I learned to shoot back in 1951 and there have been a lot of innovations that have improved archery flight, the NAP just does not cut it.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: NickSnook

I grew up in an archery shop making arrows and trying to make them work better. My old man was an archer and an aeronautical engineer and everytime I made up something where I tried putting flaps on vanes (like the NAP) or making a drastic helical , he would always tell me why it would not work.
When ever you use flaps or increase helical to make an arrow spin faster, you also drastically increase the wind resistance which will make noise and slow the arrow down faster and make it lose trajectory.
He would then always give me the example of our old piper cub, when we wanted to slow down to land the plane we would extend the flaps.
when this was done you would feel a tug on your seatbelt from the deacceleration and then the plane would quickly lose altitude.
you feel the same thing when a passanger plane puts the flaps out to land.
All those little flaps on the NAP vanes do is make the arrow spin a little faster, but you lose trajectory, increase noise, and lose penetration because of the speed loss. and you pay about $2.00 for three of them.
Pay more and get less!!!
I have shot and tested a lot of arrows since I learned to shoot back in 1951 and there have been a lot of innovations that have improved archery flight, the NAP just does not cut it.
You didn't say whether or not you have tried them.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:58 PM

The quick spin vanes for me have been awesome!!! I like them a ton...I have them fletched i think it's like a 4degree offset(could be less) which isn't much of nothing almost straight to me...And i am getting better groups and i can shoot alot of different fixed blade broadheads using them that i couldn't before..I shoot a SQ2 and a Legacy and both are well tuned... And as for noise i cannot honestly say that i have heard much of any difference.. I used to use regular duravanes i think their called.. Also the new blazer vanes work pretty darn good too.. And they cost a heck of a lot less than the quick spins... Try'em out for yourself and see what they may do for you... Just have a couple arrows done up at your local pro so in case you don't like them you didn't waste a lot of money.... Oh and one more thing, i only lost 2fps by going to quickspins... Not a big deal to me...
Old 08-11-2004, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: HNTNWHTTAIL4LF
Oh and one more thing, i only lost 2fps by going to quickspins... Not a big deal to me...
Were you previously using vanes? If I go from feathers to vanes, certainly I would lose more than 2 fps. Agreed?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:52 AM

Yes i was using vanes... And how much speed you lose depends on how much of a helical you use to...You dont really need it with the QS's...

Not sure about the speed difference if you switch from feathers..I don't use feathers... Try shooting through a crono with you faether arrows and shoot 1 through with a QS arrow and see what the difference is..See if anyone at the shop you go to or even the owner for that matter has one made up with QS's that they would maybe let you shoot through the crony that may be simialr to what you use now as far as length and weight wise...

Quick Reply: NAP QuickSpin Information

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.