Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Material for Backstop??? >

Material for Backstop???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Material for Backstop???

Old 08-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Material for Backstop???

However, it is time to start practicing up to 40 so I need to develop a backstop for the occasional "flyer". With my old bow, 54 lbs of KE, a ¼ inch piece of plywood worked, though probably not great for the arrows. My new bow is 66 lbs and the plywood won't stop them.
Personally, I’ve never had this problem. My wife bought me a used Hoyt Aspen Contender in March of 2003. I’d never shot a bow until then. The guy at the shop dinked around with it for about an hour, charged me $100 for parts and accessories that he added (rest, stabilizer, sight, release) and arrows (2413’s) and when he gave it back to me, it never, and I mean NEVER, missed the paper at 20.

This year, I won a PSE at a Kicking Bear camp for kids. This time I spent about $275 for a sight, rest, arrows, etc. I went with a little better stuff, cause I’m hooked on archery now. Guess you could say I’ve been struck by the arrow. Anyway, I can shoot out to 50 and still hit the 2ft square target bag full of screen that the wife got me (w/ either bow). I wouldn’t take an animal at that range, not accurate enough, but I always, yes ALWAYS, hit the bag. Inside 40, I average 22 out of 28 shots inside the small pie plate circle (4 inch grouping) and the others are usually just outside.

I’m by no means an expert archer, just got real lucky to find a guy who knows how to set them up (timing, tuning, etc.). He also spent many hours with me, over the course of several visits to the shop, instructing me on the proper way to use the darned thing. When I do things the way he showed me, it’s always in the “kill zone,” that 4 inch group. When I mess up, then the arrow moves but has always hit the bag.

As I said, I’m not an expert, but maybe you have a tuning issue.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:41 AM

I'm sure Tealboy is just asking for saftey issues. I would not shoot if I didn't have a good backstop at my place. I missed the target yeasterday because I was shooting from a sitting position and hit a small itchweed plant that I didn't see. So the arrow hit over the target on my dirt pile.

Remember : "know your target and what is beyond". Basic rule of hunter saftey.

Tealboy, I use a hughe dirtpile and shoot slightly downhill. That may not be feasable at your place but once it gets Itchweed all over it and grass it blends into the yard fairly well.

If you usually hunt from a tree stand, get up in a tree, The angle is good practice and the ground is a great backstop. Ladder stands work great for this.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

LoL, Lee umm.. did it pierce the beer keg also?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 PM

I've never tried it but the stall mats for horses is a thick heavy rubber also. That might work ($30-50 for a 4' X 6' sheet) I might have to set it up and do some shooting tonight.