Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Going downhill fast >

Going downhill fast

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going downhill fast

Old 08-07-2004, 10:24 PM

Default Going downhill fast

Hey guys, I've been reading the board for a few weeks but this is my first post. I've recently got into archery and have been shooting for a few weeks. I picked it up relatively fast and surprised myself with how well I was doing. Over the past week though my accuracy and consitency have went to crap, I've managed to get slapped by the string a few times and also somehow managed to stab myself with a nock. Not too long ago i switched to carbon arrows and began shooting a release which greatly improved my shot, but this sudden turn for the worse has me greatly frustrated. You all seem to be bursting with hunting knowledge, any ideas or suggestions?
Old 08-07-2004, 10:46 PM

Default RE: Going downhill fast

Go back over your form. Ask someone who is experienced to look at your shot. Probabley you are just doing one small thing that is throwing everything off.

good luck.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:52 PM

Its got to be your form. practice at a short distance like ten yards be sure taht youare not torking your bow. Don't grip it just let it rest in your hand. be sure that you hold your body in a similar position. check all aspects of your form. Also, have you made any changes on your bow that could affect it's tuning. good luck and practice.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:02 PM

Maybe take a break for a few days, maybe even a week if you've got time before hunting season. Once you get back to shooting, don't shoot quite as long or quite as often. It sounds to me like you've been shooting a lot, getting tired, and developing bad habits. As the others said, once you do get back to shoot, check your form. Have someone video tape you shooting and evaluate yourself. Go to your local pro shop and ask for some help.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2004, 11:16 PM

I agree with all of the above and have one possibility also. My first couple of years my friend was having the same problems. We would be fine for a bit then he would go all to crap. First year we figured out it was because he was using a crappy sight that had plastic dove tails and it would often come loose and move. The second year (you think that he would have learned) it was the same thing and it was his crappy rest. Bottom line plastic sucks and doesnt hold up.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:01 AM
nub

Strings stretched? That would increase DL and induce the arm slap. Also would account for some grouping problems.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:09 AM

Start over from square 1. Several years ago, my golf game took a nose dive, I tried and tried to correct "the problem", but couldn't. Then I went back and started over from square 1...how to grip the club, where to position my feet, keeping my head down, etc. Even though this took some time, I'm glad I did! Sort of had to re-teach myself.

I think if you do this with your bow, I think you will be pleased with the results. IMO
Old 08-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Strings stretched? That would increase DL and induce the arm slap. Also would account for some grouping problems.
I agree.... all bows have a break in period. It takes at least 150 shots or so for everything to settle in. Your bow that was probably tuned when you started has gotten out of tune. The quality of cables and strings used will alter the degree of stretch and "UNTUNED_NESS". If you don't know how,... take it back where you bought it or to another reputable place and have them reset everything. Probably need a few twist etc.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:24 AM

PennHunter84 :

Considering that your description of your problem(s) is general; mainly nonspecific, your shooting problem(s) might be caused by one thing in your equipment or in your form, or your problems(s) might be the result of many things that are wrong or have gone wrong.

However, your dilemma is not surprising. It is highly possible you have used up your share of the common phenomena called "beginner's luck." A "few weeks" of shooting a bow for the first time is only seconds of the many hours usually required to become completely proficient is all aspects of archery; then comes the bowhunting phase.

The first thing I would do is to confirm that your bow fits; appropriate in draw-length and draw-weight being the priority, and that you are using the right accessories for you and that all are properly adjusted and tuned. Bows can be like buying a new pair of shoes. When you try them on at the shoe store, they seemed to fit and felt fine. However, after wearing them for awhile, you find they do not fit so well and they hurt your feet.

As you become more comfortable with your bow and more flexible in your form, common problems caused by the wrong draw-weight and draw-length will begin to surface. As you start to acquire more knowledge, which is not always a good thing, you may intentionally or unconsciously start to modify your initial shooting form; which is not always a bad thing because your initial shooting form might not have been totally correct.

Reexamine everything by the numbers and in order of priority; starting with the bow.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

C3PO
Bows can be like buying a new pair of shoes. When you try them on at the shoe store, they seemed to fit and felt fine. However, after wearing them for awhile, you find they do not fit so well and they hurt your feet.
I think that strange happening applies to wifes and girl friends too.[8D]

Quick Reply: Going downhill fast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.