Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why did you start bowhunting? >

Why did you start bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why did you start bowhunting?

Old 08-09-2004, 12:17 AM

Default RE: Why did you start bowhunting?

well i started when i was 13 and sky rocketed from there!!! i became more and more fascinated in the sport of bow hunting after watching tv shows and learning about the longer season..
Old 08-09-2004, 02:36 AM

I always liked bows at camp when I was a kid. It gives me an excuse to chase deer around in the woods....oh yeah two words DEER STEAK... + sliced potatoes and gravy...good fuel for Winter Steelhead!!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:32 AM

I had a couple of frineds that shot bows. It seem like a great way to hang out and also a way to extend my season. I just love being in the woods.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started bowhunting because of the challenge. At the time, I was ready to give up hunting..for good.

Because of the thousands of acres of farmland I was blessed with being able to hunt growing up, for the last 10 years I gun hunted, I was killing anywhere from 4-8 deer per season..I truly got tired of killing deer. I only needed one for meat, and I've never been a big "antler" hunter...if it had a nice rack so be it, if not, so be it...any meat after the first one went to the poor I knew in the area or to Hunters for the Hungry.

I started hanging out again with some friends of mine from High School who were now in college and they were into bowhunting. I shot their bows a bit, and picked it up pretty quickly. The whole challenge aspect, and the year round shooting (that I could do in my yard) appealed to me greatly.

And if I don't kill one, oh well...not a big concern to me. I am more selective though now...I sometimes will take a doe/fawn to thin out some numbers 'round here, but usually, unless there's a decent rack, I don't shoot. I've been chasing two different nice bucks around my area for the past 4 seasons...They've come real close to getting hit, but I never could put it all together for one reason or another. One of these days they are going to screw up ..or I'm gonna get lucky (hopefully both!)
Old 08-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

A friend of mine has an old Browning righty bow and #2117 arrows. About 3-4 years ago, we were hanging out in his backyard and he got out his old Browning bow. I watched him shoot it a few times, then tried my hand at it. Only problem.... I'm lefty. My buddy is righty. I tried shooting his righty Browning bow lefty! [&:][] As you can tell, it didn't work out too well.... I shot about 4' wide of the target.

Anyway, I got hooked right then and there. I picked up an old PSE lefty compound bow for myself and had it all setup by the bowshop. I love it!

Butch A.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

id have to say it was my grand father who got me into it. he used to tell these great storys of how he and his brother used to stalk deer with recurves. and they did all the scouting and pre season preperation. after he died i bought myself a nice PSE intruder II and never looked back since then. it has been down hill from there. i spend too much time and too much money and too much effort into this sport now. now im trying to get my little cousins involved. they are 8 and 10 i cant wait till this season. im an archery-o-holic.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

My dad bowhunted and so it was natural for me to follow as well. 1st couple years I just gun hunted until I was able to pull a bow back. My dad took me out a few times with him just to watch and I was hooked.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:30 AM

My Dad bowhunted, so I was groomed from an early age. I started seriously bowhunting at age 13 with an adult bow. I initially started hunting to extend my hunting time. However, as I became efficient with the bow, a began to slowly replace gun season with bow season. At age 19, I started bowhunting only, I did that for 3 years. I then sort of fell out of bowhunting for several years, I was away a college, new girlfriends, etc and didn't really have time for it. After graduating in May 2000, I started getting back into it and have been bow only for the past 3 seasons.