Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why did you start bowhunting? >

Why did you start bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why did you start bowhunting?

Old 08-08-2004, 12:08 AM

Default RE: Why did you start bowhunting?

Because I am into self-inflicted pain and like to gamble when the odds are in the other's favor.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

I grew up in the country in up state NY, my father used to go on alot of hunttrips, he had this old bow that was given to him from my grandpa one of his old hunting buddies named Fred,who had given it him. when I was little they would tell me stories about the hunting trips they would take, all the elk, bear whitetail, you name it he shot it,my father passed away when I was younger, so when I got older around 16 or 17 my mother this old nasty looking recurve/longbow looking thing, and told me that my dad wanted me to have this, and hoped I would use it and learn the (real) way to hunt, so I tried it and almost killed my self with it, so I put it away, in 2000 I went on my first hunt in Montana and never looked backed, now all I do is Bow hunt, I had finnaly put two and two together for thoes of you woundering, if it crossed your mind the person my Dad and grandpa used to hunt with was the late Fred Bear. a few years ago my house was broken into and most of my hunting stuff was stolen along with the bow my father had giving me, I would do anything to get that back, not becuse it belonged to Fred Bear but it was the only thing my Dad had left me. Always remember you don't know what you got till it's gone, and live every day like it's your last.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:02 AM

Started 5 years ago. Dad only rifle hunted so I had to learn everything myself...seems to be kind of a repeating trend it appears eh. I mainly got into it after shooting my friends bow...I was hooked after that.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I wanted to get a bow years ago. I finally made the commitment and have never looked back since. I learned myself and don't know anyone who bowhunts. I'm not sure why I wanted one but thats all I've done the last few years now. The state allows bowhunting Sept. 15 - Jan.31 so why even bother use a gun.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:01 PM

Great topic for me, just getting started in bow hunting and already addicted! Been interested for a while but have never pursued it. My uncle works at a bow shop on the side and emailed him for some advice on what to buy. He emailed me back and told me to find out what my draw length is and he might have a bow for me. found out my draw length and the bow he had for me fit just perfect, Mathews LX set at 64lbs. My uncle delivered it to me from Alaska at a family gathering in Nevada. It has been very hard fo me to put the bow down since I got it!! It will be interesting going hunting the first time with a bow, I can't wait until the 21st of August (opening day) Bottumline is that I am hooked for life!!! Thanks Unlce Norman!!!
Old 08-08-2004, 07:22 PM

I started bow hunting to extend my Deer hunting season, however I did it mainly because of the challenge to get my game closer to me. It was just getting too easy to shoot deer with scoped rifles. I ditched the scopes then went to bowhunting. It gives complete satisfaction.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man i remember when i bought my first bow on my own........i have never been more happier than on that day.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

My dad owned an archery shop when I was growing up, and I spent more time there than I did at home. I started off shooting a little red stick bow when I was about 6 years old, eventually graduated up to a compund bow when I was about 10, shot my first deer at 15, and haven't looked back. I've been around hunting and hunters my entire life - it's the only way of life I know.

The nice thing for me is that I live in one of the 5 counties around Chicago that don't allow gun hunting, so my archery season is uniterrupted from Oct 1 through the middle of January.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:01 PM

I started bowhunting because the gun season was too short to quench my passion for pursuing whitetail. Now I realize that bowseason is too short!
Old 08-08-2004, 08:22 PM

I started hunting around 20 years ago. A guy down the street didnt have any children and took me under his wing. He would take me hunting if I did well in school. I mowed lawns all summer and bought my first bow. I quit hunting about ten years ago after my bow was stolen. I was driving a 18 wheeler over the road and was never home. About three years ago I got a bonus at work and decided I wanted to do something for myself and bought a bow. One of the best things I could have done. Its great fun and I get to spend a extra 3 monthes hunting. The extra tags help to put extra meat in the freezer.

Quick Reply: Why did you start bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.