Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long do you shoot? >

How long do you shoot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long do you shoot?

Old 08-06-2004, 11:12 PM

Default How long do you shoot?

Everyday I shoot two hours. I will warm up for the first hour. When I warm up I just shoot around and have fun. After that, I put myself in a hunting situation. I will aim at the kill zone and hopefully hit it. How long do you shoot, and what type of shooting do you do?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:22 PM

Default RE: How long do you shoot?

For about 5 to 10 mins then I take a break. I keep repeating this process becuase I know when I'm in the woods, I'm not going to be shooting shot after shot. I'm only going to get one shot and it may be after I've been sitting for 6 or 7 hours. Then, I've got to make that first shot count.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:36 PM

Everyday I shoot two hours. I will warm up for the first hour. When I warm up I just shoot around and have fun. After that, I put myself in a hunting situation. I will aim at the kill zone and hopefully hit it. How long do you shoot, and what type of shooting do you do?
Just had to point something out:

Any time you pick up a weapon, i.e. bow, rifle... ect. You need to concentrate. There should not be any time where you are not aiming for the kill zone, or for one spot. Sure you can make it fun by imagining different situations, but you still have to focus on the "bulls eye".

I hope that made sense.

Now to your question:
When I shoot, I will take time between every shot, so that I don't get into a habit of just flinging arrows. I will spend time trying to judge distance. I will work out to about 15 yards past my comfort zone, so that my reg. 30 yrd. shot looks and feals simple.

That is about it.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

When I shot I will start at about 15yrds, shoot 6 arrows, 8 times, then move out to 20 yrds do the same thing, then to 30 yrds till I get about 50 yrds out, I will shoot around 50 arrows at 50 yrds, then I will work my way back to 15 yrds, I will shoot sitting down, on one knee, broadside shots, quartering away shots, quartering towards, any shot you might have to take in a givin hunting situation, the reason I shoot out to 50 yrds is so any shot under 35yrds isn't that hard of a shot, if I start to feel tired at any point I will stop shooting, shooting when you are tired or sore will bring on bad form. bad form is easy to get but hard to get rid of.
Put em in the 10 ring!!!!
Old 08-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Spike

Just 30 minutes a day, I plan my pratice for what type of shots I am going to take. I spend 5 minutes streching, then I start shooting 18 arrows at 10 yards, 18 at 20, 18 at 30, 18 at 40, I change my shooting postion every 3 arrows.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot as long as my back will let me. When the pain gets so bad I can't stand up any more, I sit and rest. Maybe about 20 minutes at a stretch with 10-15 minute rest periods in between. But I'll stay at the range til the cows come home.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Going to pick up my bow today.........$166.00 for a new set up.....got a drop away rest and a new sight, and a half dozen arrows. You can never have too many arrows. I plan on shooting 3 days a week for about 30minutes a day, to get the tweeking done.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't get any warm up in the woods why would you warm up on the practice field?
As far as how long I shoot, it varies greatly with how much time I have and how I feel that day. I usually drag out my sessions so as to not tire quickly.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:51 PM

I just enjoy playing around daily. I would take weird angled shots, and far shots. Thats what I do when I mess around.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:30 PM

Well, I shoot alot of IBO competition that requires alot of shooting and waiting. I like to practice by shooting 5 arrows at 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards. Wait 30 min. and do it again.

Quick Reply: How long do you shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.