Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long do you shoot? >

How long do you shoot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long do you shoot?

Old 08-07-2004, 04:48 PM

Default RE: How long do you shoot?

Generally I don't have a chance to shoot during the week. I work for the gentleman who allows my father and I to hunt his land on Saturday and I'll usually shoot off and on for 5 - 8 hours on Sunday at his place.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:50 PM

Well I'm glad some of you said that I should always aim to kill. This will make me more proficient in my shooting.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

When I shoot, I just go outside & shoot. I dont have a real routine, rather I'll take a few at 20 yards & then go out to 30 or stop & try at 25. Mostly I shoot 20 yards tho but I think its important to be able to hit your mark anywhere in your effective range. For me thats 32 yards because thats as far as I can practice in my yard.

A month or so before season (sept 15 here ) I go out in the morning before work with 3 arrows & try to shoot 3 bulls in a row. Just three arrows once each. The way I see it its the first arrow that matters, after that one, if your hunting, your trying to fix a mistake.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:20 PM

I shoot when I can. I do alot of stump shooting in the woods with judo points. I think it helps me judge yardage.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:33 PM

I'll shoot for about 15 min. then go spend time with my son or wife. Few hours later I'll shoot for another 15 min. then I'm done. You will see more improvement if you pratice more often in shorter spurts than if you sit there and fling arrows for an hour. Same thing applies to any sport golf tennis or archery.

Old 08-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot one arrow at a time. I'll shoot the same arrow 5-10 times and thats it. I have the pins set for 20 and 30 yds and shoot from random points. I move my target around the yard so its harder to judge the distance.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:52 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Stalker22

I'll shoot for about 15 min. then go spend time with my son or wife. Few hours later I'll shoot for another 15 min. then I'm done. You will see more improvement if you pratice more often in shorter spurts than if you sit there and fling arrows for an hour. Same thing applies to any sport golf tennis or archery.

Thats right flinging arrows for hrs causes fatigue (weather you think ya feel it or not) and that leads to learning poor shooting habits
Old 08-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: Cottonmouth

ORIGINAL: Stalker22

Thats right flinging arrows for hrs causes fatigue (weather you think ya feel it or not) and that leads to learning poor shooting habits
yeah thats about it! if you shooty too much in one setting your screwing yourself. you can also try running a while and getting your heart rate up and try shooting at that point because yoru heart will be pumping just like you will have in the field when yoru drawing down on a huge buck. i like to challenge myslef. i have differnet spots in the yard that are a little trickier than normal shots, longer hsots, angledshots. but no more than 15 minutes at a time!
Old 08-09-2004, 02:04 PM

usually i start at the 10 yard marker...then after i master that point i work at 15...then 20...and so on...but before i move into another point i make sure the one before was conquered and i make sure that i feel good about what i shot...now hopefully im gonna be moving up to 25-30 yards now cuz i just mastered at 20...
Old 08-09-2004, 02:07 PM

If I get a half hour a day I'm lucky. I usually shoot 16-20 arrows 4 times a week. I make each and every shot count

Quick Reply: How long do you shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.