Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ASAT treestand pics WOW!! >

ASAT treestand pics WOW!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ASAT treestand pics WOW!!

Old 08-18-2004, 03:11 PM

Default RE: ASAT treestand pics WOW!!

ORIGINAL: daystalker

and since hes in MD take that into consideration too. im sure he doesnt like getting calls from guys in cali at 6 their time! :-D
Sorry Len!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:02 PM

Great testimonial!!!!
I love ASAT design Camo!!!
IMO the best Camo out there!!!!

Those are probably some of the best "independent" pics I have seen.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice pics. Thank you for going through the trouble to set everything up and take the pictures in the first place. If I may ask though, why is there a blue tinge to most of the color photos?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I may ask though, why is there a blue tinge to most of the color photos?
My digital is a piece of crap and desperately needs replaced.

It does it when the sun is shining bright. If it is overcast out pics are fine. Same as indoors all the pics come out fine then too.

Anyone wanna donate to the buckeye needs a good digital with a 10X optical zoom????
Old 08-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

My digital is a piece of crap and desperatly needs replaced.

That would explain it.

Personally, though I do not think ASAT and the other open patterns are as spectacular as some would lead you to believe I do think that they work very effectively in a variety of situations. I am still kicking around the idea of picking up some of that Montana River Ghost camo....another open style camo pattern. I just need to budget another $125 from somewhere.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, though I do not think ASAT and the other open patterns are as spectacular as some would lead you to believe...
Pab, could you elaborate on that some more. I'm not looking for a hot debate, don't get me wrong, I am just interested in your point of view.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 PM

I have the same suit, got it last Christmas and can't wait to use it this fall.

Thanks for posting the pics...saves me from have to try the experiment myself!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pab, could you elaborate on that some more. I'm not looking for a hot debate, don't get me wrong, I am just interested in your point of view.
So am I
Old 09-07-2004, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

PAB, I would also like to hear why you think this is. I respectfully disagree with you on this one.

I personally feel the open patterns such as ASAT, Predator and the like are much better patterns. Especially for treestand hunting. If you're tucked up into some brush on the ground, then some of the "designer" camos like MO and Realtree will do just fine and you have a dark background to help out. But things aren't always perfect situations in the woods and deer will come in from the sides, behind you and such. Caught out in the open and the "designer" patterns do not have the breakup capability that Predator and ASAT do. In a tree this is only amplified. Tucked up in a homemade ground blind its very difficult to pick out the Predator camo. Snow, same thing.

IMO, there is too much detail in the Realtrees and the Mossy Oaks. It looks great up close, but stand back 20 yards (the average distance to most deer you see in the woods). The detail of the camo no longer has any bearing on its effectiveness. It begins to fill in.

These are things I noticed while taking pics of my new Predator camo compared side by side with Mossy Oak BU. Not saying all this because I am using Predator this year. It is the reason why I am using it this year.

Just my .02 cents
Old 09-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry that I did not respond sooner but I was off and on in terms of visiting the forums during that time period. To address the question at hand......

As I stated, I do think that ASAT, Predator, etc.. work well under a variety of conditions. It does not take a brain surgeon to recognize that fact. However I feel that their light color areas can work against you as easily as some of the darker patterns can in "lighter" areas. Case in point, I picked up an ASAT leafy outfit last November and used it for the end of our regular archery season. In four out of six situations where I had deer within shooting range they picked me out like a sore thumb. After much deliberation the only explanation which seemed plausible was the background I had put myself in front of.

A thick stand of pines was what I am referring to and/or anything that is dark and solid in color/shape. It is the only explanation as I was downwind from the animals and was not moving in a stand which was approximately 15 feet off of the ground.

With all due respect to those that use it (or any other camo pattern for that matter), pictures provided to illustrate the effectiveness are only two dimensional and do not really give a total "picture" of what camo really does look like out there in the deer woods. Granted, open patterns do look more effective up in a treestand where it is likely that open patches of sky may be the background but not all of the backgrounds one will find out there are representative of a light/dark contrast.

Now, many of you will say that the light/dark contrast of the pattern itself does, in and of itself, break up the human outline and I do agree with that, however, it still needs to be placed in the correct "context" to be as effective as it was designed.

To illustrate this point, I would ask anyone that has an open pattern design (leafy or otherwise) to do a little experiment for me. Climb up in a treestand in front of a stand of pines or other dark background and have someone take a picture of you up there....in regular sunlight preferably. Use color and/or black and white if you prefer. Then post them. I would be interested to see the results.

Again, my intent is not to challenge the effectiveness of open patterns in a variety of situations but rather to point out that conventional patterns can and do work well in specific situations.

Quick Reply: ASAT treestand pics WOW!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.