Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks >

Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks

Old 08-11-2004, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks

keep the bow in front of your face when deer are near buy. If one looks up at you. the bow helps break up your outline. Also try not to make eye contact!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

A good tip that I learned from Zano over at deerhunting.net -

The short/medium-to-soft snort is used by deer when it can't identify something, many times stomping its hoof on the ground as well. If a deer does this to you, it doesn't know what you are, and is reluctant to get closer to check it out. You can softly snort back at it, many times it'll respond and come in closer. If you have a marble sized pebble, flip it out onto the leaves below moments after snorting back. The pebble bouncing in the leaves sounds like a deer moving. The real deer you're working cant' see it and many times gets super curious and will come in to see for itself. Get ready for a shot. Of course, you can only do this when it isn't looking right at you or cant' see you. Have fun! -Zano
Haven't had the opportunity to try this but I always carry a few small rocks with me now - just in case.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Don't buy a store bought arrow puller/remover, go to your local tire shop and ask them for an old piece (approx. 5x5) of tire innertube.
It works great for pulling stubborn arrows from a target.

Old 08-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

got a couple: some of you veterans probably know these. but if ONE person benefit from these, i will be happier.

hunt with the sun to your back so that you ain't looking into the sun and the deer have to to see you.

tie branches up behind you so that your shoulders are not stickin out each side of the tree.

walk up trail of some of your stands and block some trails that branchoff to funnel deer to your stand.

practice shooting further than you shoot normally. for two reasons, it makes the short shots seem easier and secondly, if you shoot 30 yards while hunting, buts shoot 35 yards in your backyard, and that buck of a lifetime walks by at 34 yards, you will be more confident.

take a kid hunting. we are the future of this sport.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:04 PM

OK here are a couple tips for ya. when bowhunting keep a light coating of vasaline on your broadheads blades it will keep them from oxidizing in foul wheather and keep them sharp. also when instaling field tips or broadheads to your arrows smear alittle bow string wax on the threads to keep them from locking up. if you know you are going to be hunting in drizzly wheather make sure and wax your string and harneses thoroughly it will keep them from absorbing water. your strings won't sretch nearly as fast. never hunt your stands more than two times in a row. deer pattern us much easier than we do them. oh yah i'll bet buckhunter has some nice fish pics to ...ha ha ... just pokin . skina
Old 08-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Spike

GREAT HUNTING TIPS !!!
HERE'S A COUPLE FOR YOU...
PUT A LITTLE BAKING POWDER IN YOUR PISS BOTTLE, HELPS KEEP THE SCENT DOWN WHEN YOU OPEN IT.
WEAR A HAT THAT HAS A RIM AL THE WAY AROUND LIKE A BOONIE HAT INSTEAD OF A BASEBALL HAT. THE RIM WILL MAGNIFY THE SOUNDS BELOW YOUR STAND.
( BELIEVE ME IT WORKS )
BUY A ROLL OF CLOTH HOCKEY TAPE, YOU CAN SILENCE ANY PART OF YOUR STAND WHERE METAL TOUCHES METAL, AND IT'S VERY CHEAP.

GOOD LUCK
EB
Old 08-23-2004, 04:48 AM

Stop your arrow from making noise as it is drawn across your rest by caring bow string wax with you. Just apply a little to your rest and your ultra silent for one shot.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Here is one that is pretty accurate in the area I hunt.
When looking at a buck rub on sloping terrain the side of the tree mostly rubbed not only indicates direction of travel but also time of day.
We have found that rubs on the uphill side of a tree indicate evening travel and those on the downhill side indicate morning travel.
Its not 100% but is pretty accurate most of the time.

Mr.D
Old 08-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Good tips, worthy of a bump
Old 08-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

excellent tips guys!!...here's one thatmay have been said though...
tie a smallpiece of string to your bow so you can tell if the wind changes while you are in your stand.

Quick Reply: Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.