Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks >

Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks

Old 08-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks

I mount a quiver holder on all my stands. Very secure and easy to remove 2nd arrow with one hand!

Also check out Cats Eyes. Excellent light, clips under the brim of your hat and where you look there is light. Especially going up and down trees in the dark!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

One of my stands has a chain to secure to the tree and I take a rubber sleeve (bike innertube) and put it around it to stop the metal to metal noise. Also, I use a screw in step when I hang it. I loop the chain around the tree and over the step so I don't have to worry about the stand creeping down.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:05 PM

On extremely cold days wear latex gloves under your gloves.
This keeps the heat in and the cold out.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Splittg2

On extremely cold days wear latex gloves under your gloves.
This keeps the heat in and the cold out.
I tried that once and thought I was going to get frost bite! It kind of made sense to me but didn't work for me. Seemed like it had the opposite effect. My hands were definitely colder with the latex gloves. I'm not sure if they sweated and the moisture absorbed the heat or what but I finally took them off.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:40 PM

A great way to straighten messed up vanes after lots of practice shooting is to push down the mechanism on a toaster that makes it heat up, then make your fletchings flirt with the heat, moving them in for a second, then letting them cool off. They will straighten to brand new.

Some may have this feature on their aluminum arrows and not even know it, but if you remove the broadhead and look down the shaft, some aluminum arrows have a flourescent spiraling all the way down the inside of the shaft. If the arrow is bent at any place, the spiraling will not be even.

The nub on the side of your knock is a good way to feel which way your cock feather is supposed to face when it is dark. If you know the nub on your knock matches with your cock feather, you can angle attach it properly to you bow even when you cannot see on a dark morning. You just feel it with your fingers.

good luck
Old 08-31-2005, 01:03 AM

I have the following to an old Jennings and 4 newer Hoyt bows and it works well for my sons and I. This just for my hunting bows as it looks a little funny sticking back past the string before it is drawn.

I remove the factory carbon cable slide bar and replace it with aluminum rod of the same diameter only about 3” longer. Before I put it on the bow I bend a 180° hook on the end towards the string and paint it a dark color. I then place the cable slide over the bow end of the rod and insert it into the bow with the open hook turned away from the arrow. This hook is then used to hold your bow on your safety belt while on stand or hook on your lifting rope or hang on your stand while changing cloths or whenever needed. It can hang at arms length while standing or lay on your lap while sitting with no fear of your bow falling and just a 3” lift and your bow is loose and ready to shoot. I never liked the bow hanging on the tree behind me as I set facing away from the tree most of the time.
I even carried my bow with this hook while shooting 3D courses.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

they sell a sling attachment like you describe.It fastens a small hook on the end of the rod and you wear a rope sling around you shoulder so you can hang the wight of the bow.It unhooks easily you just lift up a little.Works good for carrying the bow into the woods .I think it was like 8bucks really cheap
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

1. I found a small fluffy feather that I tied to my bow with dental floss. I think this gives me a better feel for wind direction than a string by itself. The feather is wider so it moves in the slightest breeze and it is easier to see.
2. There are a lot of ceder trees where I hunt. I have some thin ceder boards that I salvaged from a cedar closet. I place a few of these boards in my clothes bag after I wash my clothes.
3. I'm making an equipment hanger out of an old tie-down strap. I'm going to cut off the S hooks off of old straps and tread them onto one that I will strap to the tree.
4. For you all day tree standers....make sure you pack your lunch and snacks into quiet containers. No tin foil or loud chip bags.
5. I'm thinking...give me a minute....
Old 08-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

My advice for harvesting a deer is to get off the internet and get out into the woods, you cant get one while staring at the computer screen!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:09 AM
Spike

I used to carry a backpack/fanny pack into my stand with me all the time, but that is extra weight and can be akward at times when stalking or climbing. Then I bought a turkey vest a couple of years back that has multiple pockets for any accessory i need to take with me, just get a size bigger and you can wear it year-round over any cold weather clothing.

Quick Reply: Lets share----Bowhunting tips and tricks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.