Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fletching own arrows for deer hunting only >

Fletching own arrows for deer hunting only

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fletching own arrows for deer hunting only

Old 08-03-2004, 10:37 PM

Default Fletching own arrows for deer hunting only

My local bowshop is making alot of money off me (that I don't have)fletching my arrows.I want to start fletching my own because it will pay for itself in time.First I need a fletcher.What do you recommend?Arizona E-Z Fletch,Cabela's Fletcher,Grayling Fletching Jig and Clamp or Bitzenburger Dial-O-Fletch?Which is the easiest or best to use in your opinion?Would you use the straight fletch or helical?This will be my 3rd year hunting.I don't take shots over 35 yards.
Also I need a tool to take off the old vanes,feathers and glue.Cabela's has 2 the Fletch Stripper and the Norway Zip-Strip.Is there othere tools I will need to do it right?Thanks for any help you can give me.
Buckmaster 2000
GT 5575 Hunters
Muzzy 100 gr. 4 blade
NAP 1000 Arrow Rest
29" Draw,52 lb. Pull
Old 08-04-2004, 06:01 AM

Default RE: Fletching own arrows for deer hunting only

I use the Arizona EZ fletch and a Norway zip stripper. Haven't had any problems. If your only going to be fixing damaged fletchings or just fletching a few hunting arrows here and there the Arizona would be a good choice it's small and you can take it with you when you hunt. I use the right helical fletch for my hunting setup and it does a nice job.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:05 AM

I use the Arizona EX fletcher as well. Very easy and does a pretty good job.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:11 AM

I use bitzenberger, haven't tried any other jig and never will. Durability and quality taken to the limits.........
Old 08-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 blizenbergers and a EZ Fletcher , The blitenbergers have allot of adjustabilty , but I allways end up useing the Arizona EZ Fletcher , it saves time and works great . I have the 4 degree offset model for alluminum arrows and its worked with every arrow Ive put thru it from axis to 2413s
Old 08-04-2004, 12:23 PM

I have the Bitzenburger dial- a-flecth and love it have had it for 8 years now still works like the day I got it .
Old 08-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also I need a tool to take off the old vanes,feathers and glue.
Don't bother. An old knive works well.

I would recommend the Bitz.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:33 PM

I also started building my own arrows this year. I bought a Grayling fletcher, with a right helical clamp. I notice you are shooting 4 blade 100 gr. Muzzy, exactly what I am shooting. I also shoot the NAP 1000 rest, but my draw weight is a bit heavier. I went with 4" feather, on a right helical. Depending on your speed, you may not need the helical. The one problem I encountered with the helical is feather clearance. My feathers are clearing the rest, but man, just barely. You really have to have the nock spun to just the right spot, but they are flying VERY well.I also agree with BobCO, an old knife is what I use, but I noticed that the serrated edge seems to work better. Just make sure to clean the arrow good with rubbing alcohol, and I even use 600 grit wet sandpaper, just to scuff the arrow ever so slightly. No trouble with the feathers coming off.

Building your own arrows is not only fun, but also rewarding and you will learn alot as well. Good luck, and good hunting!
Old 08-04-2004, 04:09 PM

Bitzenburgh does the job
Old 08-04-2004, 06:32 PM

Anyone have a good link to a beginners guid to fletching? I'd like to give it a try but no idea what equipment is needed or how to get started

Quick Reply: Fletching own arrows for deer hunting only

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.