Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How is the tick population where you hunt? >

How is the tick population where you hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How is the tick population where you hunt?

Old 08-05-2004, 05:29 PM

Default RE: How is the tick population where you hunt?

JOLLYARCHER- here in middle tenn. where I live they are bad every year.I have been here since 96 and they have eaten me alive. They seem to get on me moreso than my son. Even if I let him walk ahead of me they still get on me worse for some reason. I grew up in miss. and you might get one or two every now and then but not bad.One year
Iwent squrriel hunt when it opened the end of aug and got about 300 from the waist down. they were real tiny you had to look with a magnafier to see them. I was in real agony,to the point of not sleeping very much even with medication. I didn't spray down
that time but now I don't go into the woods without spraying my clothes with permanon.
It is real strong you only put it on your clothes. But i still get them even with spraying down and tying my pants legs at the bottom.
This year turkey hunting I would spray and tie pants and then wrap duck tape between
my boots and pants and still get some around my waist.
I have two or three places on my legs right now from ticks or chiggers.(no kidding) I have places on me about all year except from late nov. til maybe feb.
Out in the woods lately I have been wearing long socks that come above my boots and pull them up over the end of my pants. I may look like a dufus but I don't see anyone in the woods, and I don't really care anyway. it seems to help some. I have some of the tick gaiters but I am saving them for hunting season.
There is hardly any mosquitoes here in middle tenn. but I have to fight a steady battle with ticks. Their have been some cases of lyme disease here too. I personally know about three people who have it. (scarry)
Old 08-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

That has got to be the worst tick population I've ever heard of. I am learning more about Lyme here... my son developed the symptoms that was later diagnosed as Lymes disease. He is just a little man, not yet in his teens, but is a real trooper about the issue. You can see why I am not fond of ticks.

Testing for Lyme should be done as soon as you discover an attached tick. We never new my son had been bitten, as no tick was ever found on him. They suspect that the tick used him a host for a shot period, being scratched away without ever knowing he had a tick attached. It is true that it often takes time to show itself, but don't be dissuaded of testing. Lyme acts differently for different people and doesn't always have that tell-tale "bullseye ring". It can cause terrible damage, both neurological, cardiac and respiratory alike, not to mention blindness, BUT it can be treated. If caught early, Lyme responds very well to MASSIVE regimens of antibiotics. Who'd have thought. My son has been doing very well since the treatments began and we have him back for tests on the quarter year. Don't ignore any tick bite. Learn to remove them properly too... as squeezing an attached tick can "push" contaminants into your system that may not have had time to enter from the initial bite. Stay safe.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:20 PM

Glad to know your son is doing ok with the lymes. They say one has to be on you for at least 24 hours to infect you but Im not really sure. when I have been out in the woods I always feel like I have them on me so I take a shower as soon as I get back home even if it is 900 in the morning,sometimes I may take two or three showers a day.
I think they have a shot you can take for prevention of limes dis. have you heard of it?
Been aiming to ask my dr. but can't ever think of it when I am there.

went up through pa back in june on vacation. went through jersy shore up to wellsburg to eat in the train car. neat place. saw a few deer and a lot of good looking hunting area.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:01 AM

Had a hell of a day in April this year with chiggers. I had been out crawling around in the brush with my 7 year old hunting pigs and we each ended up with over 50 bites at the end of our day. BTW, chiggers bite only the softest body parts, thank you very much. We were scratchin for 2 weeks. I was OK. . it was my fault for not spraying first but I was worried about scent. I felt kinda bad for my boy though. Scent or not we been using lots of spray and watching the wind more the last few trips out.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:51 PM

the ticks are pretty bad here this year.Sometimes i find them on me just from walking in the yard they have even been on my front door alot this year.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:51 AM

Hunting partner 2 - Me none. I keep telling him to shave that back
Old 08-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

yup the best advice i can think of is have yoru wife if you got one of girl friend check your entire body for ticks when your done asap. if you have one in the skin go to a doctor or if you know how to get them out yourself do it ASAP.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:33 AM

No ticks around my place