Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Problem:  Need help w/ Q2 issue >

Problem: Need help w/ Q2 issue

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Problem: Need help w/ Q2 issue

Old 08-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Problem: Need help w/ Q2 issue

I had my new Q2 set up by one of the pros at bass pro who used to own a shop selling Mathews. A level was used to make sure the arrow was perfectly flat before establishing the nock and adding the string loop. Everything else was set up very meticulously. I got home and shot it 15-20 times and happened to notice the nock point looked high and the arrow was pitching downward through the whisker bisquit. I took it back and one of the other pros put the level on it and said the nock is definately too high and adjusted it downward so that the arrow was level. He moved it appx 1/4 to 3/8 inch and I double checked him. I shot it another 15-20 times and noticed it now looked low and the arrow was pitching upward slightly. I took it back and they put the level on it. Sure enough, the nock was now low by 1/4 inch. Several pros thought the serving was moving but after inspecting, it was tight. The Pro who set it up originally meticulously adjusted the nock point up 1/4 inch and it looked level again. He also adjusted the nock to keep my string loop from slipping but I was pretty sure this wasn't happening since the relationship between my loop and kisser are unchanged.

Anyway, I got home and shot it 15 times and just looked at it again, and guess what, the nock point looks way too high (1/4 inch) and the arrow is pitching downward again. What in the world is going on ?

I can't see any evidence that the serving is moving or the string loop or anything else. I am puzzled. It went from too high, then too low, then too high, then too low and finally, too high again. All of this in 4 days and 50 shots. The only other thing I have noticed, which may not mean anything is, I hang the bow through one of the holes in the top wheel. It seems strange, but it seems like a different hole each time I hang it. I would not expect the wheel to rotate as it does.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Problem: Need help w/ Q2 issue

Lemme think about this one... Headin' to the shop... I'll post when I return.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:10 PM

That is weird..... I'm guessing something is broken in the cam, or wheel? Did you have the pro shop guys check that? How old is the string? There is no way this should be happening.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Regarding the age, I can't say for sure. The Q2 is a left over model shipped directly from Mathews, so though it is new, the string could be a year or two old. I really don't know for sure. I plan to call mathews but was hoping some folks on this board could help me identify the problem. I know it is a strange one.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:34 PM

This ones very easy. It's a Mathews, so it has a zebra string, which means it will stretch farther than John Kerry telling the truth...and that's quit far. They're notorious for it...all that's required is for you to constantly twist it to bring it back into specs until you decide to put a new non stretch string on it...like Prostring, winnerschoice, stone mountain, etc. They're all high quality strings that are handmade, as apposed to the zebra which is factory built and comes with very little attention to detail.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Did the pro shop use the right size nock for your string? There are different sizes to accommodate strings and serving material combinations. Did they double nock? I thought about stretch out of the gate but this one seems to be stretching way too far for all the more the bow was shot. 3/4 of an inch in 50 draws... wow, either you ended up with the worst Zebra string material that came off the roll as "seconds" or they forgot half the strands at the factory. Ok, we all know the latter isn't the case, but there is an easy way to nail down a problematic string suspect. Take an upper and lower tiller measurement now that the nock point is where it should be. Take the bow back to the bails and have a go. Recheck your tiller after your shooting session. It shouldn't change drastically. Another possibility for increased stretch out of the box is that your factory string is lacking twists. This can accelerate the rate of stretching like you describe. I would twist it up so it retains a cylindrical shape and hammer the bails again. Assuming that the limb bolts aren't backing out like mad, which I doubt, you should be good to go. I do however agree with GVDoc, in that an aftermarket string, (I prefer Winnerschoice), is a good investment. Short of seeing the bow, I'd twist it up, measure the tiller and let 'em fly. Let me know how you make out.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:37 PM

Reserve the string. Sounds like it has come loose & is moving on you. If it is done nice & tight it shouldn't move anymore. If the nocking point keeps going up then your string is stretching but in this case it is going everywhere. Has to be the serving moving. stop fooling with it & reserve it.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe it's the serving, but the Pro said it was fine. He is really stumped on this one. In fact, all of them are. I called the local Mathews guy and he was unclear as to the problem.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:27 AM

Chalk the bow up as a dud and get mathews to replace it.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

I think the Q2 he speaks of is a Mathews... and I still don't think it's the serving. Up.

Quick Reply: Problem: Need help w/ Q2 issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.