HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Kids and bows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/67753-kids-bows.html)

BLACKTALON 08-01-2004 01:16 AM

Kids and bows

Hi all, first post. If this has been discussed before please forgive, and provide a link.
My 3-1/2 y/o girl wants to be involved with everything I do, which is great. My question is, anyone here have any advice on when would be a good age for her to get into archery? No one in my family is into it besides me(a pity), and I started in my early teens. So I'm not sure about when to introduce her. Thanks in advance.

BLACKTALON

wesbowhunt 08-01-2004 01:18 AM

RE: Kids and bows

when shes able to pull a bow back;)

Arthur P 08-01-2004 06:25 AM

No time like the present.

You can get a small fiberglass bow set for her or, if you're handy, you can make a bow out of small diameter PVC pipe. Figure out how long it needs to be to give her a draw weight she can handle, without dragging the ground when she shoots. Glue a wood plug in each end and insert a round head wood screw into each plug for nocks. (The kind of screws that have about a half inch of unthreaded shank under the cap.) If you want to get fancy, you can paint the pipe and wrap the grip area with tennis racket grip.

If you're even more handy, you can whittle a selfbow out of a board. For little tyke bows, you don't have to worry about following the grain perfectly and all that. Just keep whittling until it's a draw weight she can handle.

A few Easton Jazz arrows, or some fiberglass ones, and she's ready to go 3D'ing with you.;)

Keep it fun and safe.

Green Archer 08-02-2004 09:27 AM

Right Now:D. there are quitw a few kids kits available out there. Happy shooting to you both:D.

adams 08-02-2004 09:39 AM

For now an inexpensive long bow or cheaper kids bow is probably the best bet. It sucks to spend $150.00 just to find out she really dosn't like it. If she takes well to it in a year or two the Genesis bow would likely be the ticket. She won't outgrow it and annyone in the family will be able to shoot it. I can't wait until my little one is old enough.

Here is a link to the Genesis.

Thanks for getting the youngster involved:)

Krotalus 08-02-2004 10:04 AM

Most pro shops along with the national chains carry the Fred Bear kids bows - I think it is called the "Brave', the ones i have seen run fromabout $50 for black to around $70 for camo. I will be picking up one in the near future for my 3 little ones.

daystalker 08-02-2004 10:34 AM

i think the issue is WHAT AGE shoudl they be.. obviously you want them to understand teh saftey issues that are involved in shooting responcibly. i tought my youngest cousin at teh age of 8 he was strong enough to pull about a 20 pound compound bow back with fiberglass arrows. we shot into a hay stack with paper targets because the arrows didnt go into my 3d target. now as far as understanding saftey i wouldnt teach a 4 or 5 year old because tehy just dont have teh attention span. at least none of my cousins or nephews did! so i would say a safe age woudl be when you think they are mature enough to handle the saftey aspects.. also they have to be able to pull the string back by them selves.. it sucks trying to pull it back for them.. it just doesnt work... they like doing it on their own... i started with a BB gun in the back yard soe they got the idea of how to use sights... then progressed to bows when they were a little older. my 13y/o will be HUNUTING with me this year for teh first time. :D i cant wait...

enjoy what ever you deside to do! :)

BLACKTALON 08-02-2004 02:00 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!:DI'm thinking of getting her a toy set, for simple safety reasons, and to see if the interest will hold.

Blacktalon

Martin Cougar 08-02-2004 02:04 PM

I'm doing the same thing - I'm starting to look at toy sets for my 3 year old. It gets her involved and it's safe. If she is still interested as she gets older then I will pursue something like the Genesis bow.

But for now - keeping it fun is the most important thing.

gjpwisconsin 08-02-2004 03:11 PM

Took the Boys 12 and 10 out scouting on Sunday. The 4 year old (today) girl insisted on coming with. It was great to walk in the woods with her and point out the Rubs from last year. Also looked like some were starting this year?? She had fun and keeps wanting to go out with us. I will let her, but not when the weapons are out. She can't hunt anyways until she is 12. My answer is, let them get out there at any age. It will only help to build their love of the outdoors. My 12 year old will be hunting with me this year for the first time. Can't wait to have someone to help drag that big one out...