Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tobacco in the treestand? >

Tobacco in the treestand?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tobacco in the treestand?

Old 07-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tobacco in the treestand?

Alright I was arguing with a buddy the other day about having a chew in the treestand. I said that it is an un-natural smell and that is something that they probably don't like. He doesn't agree and his friend has had deer come up and smell the spit on the base of the tree. What do you all think?
Old 07-31-2004, 12:50 AM

Default RE: Tobacco in the treestand?

I can't say for sure how deer will react to the smell of chewing tobacco, but why would a person take the risk? I would imagine that some deer would get spooked by the smell. IMO if a person wants to be successful in their hunt, he or she should do everything they can to not pollute the air with foreign odours.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:11 AM

I personally do not do it in the stand. My best friend on the other hand, does it everytime he sits in his stand. He has alot more wall hangers than I do, but I am a firm believer in scent control and I am not willing to take the chance. He does it, and he's successful. I however am not that lucky, I have to use everything to my advantage. My .02
Old 07-31-2004, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i know guys that have been smoking a cig when they have shot a deer so i dont see why chewin would be a problem.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:48 AM

I have a chew or 4 (lol) while I am in my stand or even stalking but I always have a little spit bottle with me. I am sure some smell gets out but not like cigarettes would I think. And I never spit on the ground, even months before when scouting.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:38 AM

I would say it depends on the dip. I'd think that cope would smell the most natural. Maybe the animals would prefer something sweeter like a skaol straight? Anyway my patience starts wearing thin and what else are you going to do to entertain yourself? ...I just got my new cobra sidewinder today, it's unreal I was shooting untill dark with BRIGHT pins.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

As long as it is not mint flavored ,,Rats,,mice,,deer , etc won't go near it, they detest it.

.Have you ever been around a mint field,,it's dead, nothing out there chasing anything,,no mice around,,no animal life, because why?? they dislike it.

..if you want to keep deer,,mice away, plant mint.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:30 AM

dont know if it matters,really i stuck a fat six point last season @ 10 yards while spitting copenhagen all over the place.i had been in that location several times before and dipped every time.i dont know for sure but i think the tobacco companies are paying them off.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:15 AM

No, it would not spook the deer in most cases. If it was cherry, mint, or green apple flavored, it might even spark their curiosity. As far as smoking, that doesnt matter too much either. Unless the deer directly associate that smell with a predator, you should be fine. like if you shoot at them and they smelled that smell in teh area, they might assume thats what humans smell like. Same goes for pissing in the woods. you can do it because the deer dont associate taht smell with a certain predator.

slayer
Old 07-31-2004, 10:52 AM

I CHEW AND NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH DEER COMING INTO SHOOTING DISTANCE

Quick Reply: Tobacco in the treestand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.