Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where do drop tines come from? >

Where do drop tines come from?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where do drop tines come from?

Old 07-29-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Where do drop tines come from?

Are they genetic, is it age, do they bump their antlers. What is it that makes that tine grow down?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:04 PM

Default RE: Where do drop tines come from?

Ive got one on my stealth cam last week with a 3-4in drop. I did notice that on this deer he had a growth/sore on his opposite front leg. I dont think wounds always cause the drops but I believe it had something to do with this bucks rack.

I was wondering if a drop is something a deer with carry with him through the years or does it just pop up one year and gone the next? The deer I got on camera is a young 8pt that I wouldnt mind passing up if he would more than likely grow the droptine again but I might be tempted to shoot him this year if its a fluke.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:56 PM

I'm no expert, but I believe they can be caused by many different things. Genetics probably play a huge role in the development of a drop-tine. Also, I have heard that injuries to a deer can cause antler abnormalities (drop-tines etc.), but I am not positive on this. If it is a genetic thing, it would seem that they would keep the drop tines throughout their lives. If it is due to an injury, it seems possible that it could be there one year and gone the next.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously damage to a bucks velvet rack can indeed result in a droptine, however when this occurs the antler/s are usually very nontypical and really loose most symetry. The "true" droptines are indeed genetic and will be carried from year to year by the individual buck. I've had the chance to view/hunt a number of droptine bucks over the last several years and ALL have carried droptines every season since they were 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 years old. We've even managed to put a couple tags on some of these dudes. Jason took his buck in mid-December of '98 after we had seen him on a few occasions, this buck had carried his drop for a couple seasons already. What hurt is that with this buck I was supposed to be the shooter while HE ran the camera that day but a work schedule change changed my plans!!! That one hurt!!! But I was VERY proud that my huntin' buddy could score on his best buck. Dan put his tag on the black-capped brute last season after we had all but given up that this buck was still alive. We do have some of his sheds and a few Deer Cam pics from over the years. We gave this buck everything we had yet he continued to elude us. Despite the fact that the bucks antlers had gone downhill significantly, the 8 1/2 year old brutes droptine was the only thing that actually got larger every year. We couldn't believe it when Dan met us that evening and said that he had just put an arrow through "him". Both of these bucks, as well as another LARGER droptine buck, lived on the same farm and within a mile of each other. I would say that that is some solid proof that it's a genetic thing. That droptine giant is still out there, ya never know?

Old 07-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool bucks, IL!

I have 2 friends that raise pen deer. They have both been in this business for well over 20yrs. They argue all the time about drop tines and non-typical racks. Sounds like they're married. They can come to no consensus on them. They do agree that injuries account for a large proportion of their non-typicals.

One of them makes a cut through the velvet on come bucks after their main frame is formed. He cuts on the bottom, trying to get an abnormality to form a drop tine. He says it has worked before for him, and once it does work, the deer will keep the tine from then on.

He does have one drop tine now. It's impressive! Here's one of his deer. (I didn't take a pic of the drop-tine buck) This one (who is peeing) is on his second rack. Pretty nice one!

Old 07-29-2004, 07:30 PM

heres a pic of my little 8pt droptine i got a picture of last week. judging by his body i'd only guess him to be a 1.5yr old but with that kinda of rack for his first, he would probably be a dandy in a few years..especially if he keeps that drop.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:49 PM

Ive got some pics of a really good drop tine buck that I have pics of over three years, the last pics i have of him he had suddenly grown a 6 or 7 inch drop off his right beam, his first year with the drop tine he was at least 5 or 6 years old. i got the drop tine pics year before last and havent ever seen him again, and havent ever heard of anyone killing him, hope hes still around.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

I always thought the Drop Tine Fairy brought them.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:38 PM

We had a monster 8pt running around our area a few years back that I had seen several times then all the sudden he grew a 7in droptine his last year alive, like Angus' deer he was appx 5-6yrs old when it showed up.

Unfortunaly he was hit by a vehicle down the road from my house opening weekend of gun season that year. He was a brute, scoring 168 gross w/ 14in G2s and that 7in drop, he would have been a deer of a lifetime if someone could have tagged him.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

GOD

Quick Reply: Where do drop tines come from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.