HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bucks seen vs bucks presenting shots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/67271-bucks-seen-vs-bucks-presenting-shots.html)

rybohunter 07-27-2004 09:28 AM

Bucks seen vs bucks presenting shots

Seeing the numbers of bucks in the passed on thread, I want to know how many bucks you guys SEE a season. If you are passing on 20, you have to be seeing double that? Last year I saw bucks 17 times, with 14 of them being identifiable as different bucks. Shot the 8th one passed me. For me to consider passing on a buck, it must present me with a good, reasonable shot that I would actually take.

adams 07-27-2004 10:19 AM

RE: Bucks seen vs bucks presenting shots

I'd say around 40% of the deer I see present a shot. I didn't keep a log last fall(I plan to this year) but I believe that I saw 11 or 12 bucks last fall while hunting. 7-8 presented shots but were passed on. Of the 7 or 8 I can't say If I wanted to I would have shot or could have shot all of them. I try to make my mind up in a hurry; pass or shoot. If I've decided to pass I don't touch the bow.

My set up puts me close to most of the deer that pass through. There is a split in the main run and it crossed the creek bed I hunt. The deer that continue straight on this run will pass me @ less that 30 yards. The deer that cross the brook will bed down or pass me at 40-70 yards and will present no shots. Early season I can't see the deer that cross the creek. In the later portion of the season I can see these deer but once they cross they are out of range.

RiverBottomBowHunter 07-27-2004 10:31 AM

Last year I saw approx. 30 bucks. For sure 15-18 different ones. I had shots at about 8-10 of them. Most of these were small though. Little 8 pointers and such.

WV Hunter 07-27-2004 10:41 AM

2 years ago I had 33 buck sightings total, 25 of those were different bucks....and of the 33, 24 presented a shot. (This was for the entire season, bow and gun). Last year was not as good for me...15 sightings, 11 different bucks.... and of the 15, I could have shot 11. I can't remember off hand about seasons before the last 2 but it was similar.

Keep in mind we have alot of deer in VA and WV, but not many big bucks at all(at least in the areas where I hunt). I only shot 1 of all those I saw in the past 2 seasons. My setups net me a shot opportunity often, but I'm only shooting if it's a wall hanger (by my standards, for where I hunt...which are few and far between unfortunately).

:)

TURKEY FAN 07-27-2004 10:45 AM

i reckon i had seen 9 different bucks ranging from 120-to 130 range, two of those bucks i had never seen before in the whole time i have hunted these woods those two deer probably range from 150-155! I shot a 8pt that i thought was taller but he had some ground shrinkage i was happy but kinda disapointed that my quick measurement of the buck was off, it did happen in a blink of an eye but i guess i am getting old

Pro-Line 07-27-2004 10:49 AM

I would say that half of the total deer I see present shots normally. I generally hunt pretty tight areas with specific travel roots and funnels.

HAZCON7 07-27-2004 12:35 PM

Last season I probably saw 10 different bucks in close quarters but only 4 of them close enough to take a shot. I passed on the first 2 waiting for a specific buck - shot the 3rd during shotgun season - and spooked the 4th when he heard me pull the hammer back on my pistol.

HAZCON7 07-27-2004 12:41 PM

The 3rd buck to cross my path last season - ended up being the smallest of them all but dang he tasted good!

Shootem up870 07-27-2004 12:43 PM

last year i saw 2 bucks bowhunting. one was 80 yards away from me and the other was 40 yards. no shot at all. i was on the way to my stand in the evening both times.

BobCo19-65 07-27-2004 01:01 PM

I'd say about 40% also.