HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   It Has Begun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/67255-has-begun.html)

Rack-attack 07-27-2004 07:47 AM

It Has Begun

Some Horns are Hard

Local tree Farmer sent out word to his Permit crew that trees are being wacked

Its early - but its begun:D

NEWSHOOTER 07-27-2004 07:51 AM

RE: It Has Begun

Here in northern Illinois the earliest I have seen them shed is the last week of August.. Wow you guys on the other side of the planet are weird;);)[8D]

adams 07-27-2004 07:55 AM

I have mixed feelings about this. I'd like for antlers to grow for another 30 to 40 days.
But on the other hand, It's still early enough to get in and do a bit more light scouting without too much disruption.

46 days and counting....

BobCo19-65 07-27-2004 08:03 AM

Wow, that is early.

WV Hunter 07-27-2004 08:27 AM

Well that sucks. Man I was hoping the one's I've been seeing could have a few more weeks and hopefully add another 100" or so. :( Dinks everywhere.

Jason N 07-27-2004 08:31 AM

Hard already?:eek: I think I'd have to see that in person to believe it.:) The earlist I've ever seen velvet shed is the last week of August and then there's still plenty more with velvet still attached. Whether or not I believe you doesn't matter though, the horns will be hard come archery season!;)

DaveH 07-27-2004 09:23 AM

That's hard to believe. Something other than bucks are likely causing the damage. The photoperiodism responsible for the hardening of antlers, shedding of velvet, etc. is the same this year as it's always been. All the bucks here are still in velvet--no surprise--and will probably grow a small amount, if any from this point on. During August, hardening will occur and the shedding of velvet will begin in late August/early Sept. . . . . like it always has.

muzzyman88 07-27-2004 09:38 AM

yeah, I'd have to disagree as well. I'm in PA and they typically don't begin to shed velvet till about the end of August. And anyway, Bucks don't rub trees to remove their velvet very much.

I'd have to say that something else is doing that.

NEWSHOOTER 07-27-2004 10:14 AM

Deer do not sport horns anyway so Rack must be talking about Jack o lope;)[8D][&:]

Rack-attack 07-27-2004 10:22 AM

Well I thought its early as well......It is possible the tree farmer is looking for an excuse to thin out the herd and the info is wrong.......I myself have never seen them hard at this time........

Maybe I am just wishing:D:D

The photoperiodism responsible for the hardening of antlers, shedding of velvet, etc. is the same this year as it's always been
Though I do agree with this - I also believe it triggers deer to drop there antlers and as we know this can happen from Dec till April or more.....So I would not be shocked if one or two shed their velvet a month before others.....................nature is a funny thing:D;)