Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help with unwanted residents of my treestand >

Help with unwanted residents of my treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with unwanted residents of my treestand

Old 07-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with unwanted residents of my treestand

Just don't move much while you are hunting from that stand, they won't bother you much LOL

Seriously, I think if it was me...I'd get all covered up in carhart's and a facemask and climb up there with a pillow case and cover it up and close off the top (quickly, I might add). Make sure to do it when it's dark or almost dark to lessen the chance of the bees coming out. Thats about the only thing I can think might work.

Oh, and make sure not to fall out of the tree while you are doing this!

So I'm wishing you good luck, or if you don't get it down....sorry, but your screwed! [8D]
Old 07-25-2004, 05:33 PM

I like the idea of a paintball gun. you can do some damage with that thing. or get up there and light off a ton of fireworks. bottle rockets and M-150's and a bunch of light stuff tied together. or you can take a reallllly long stick, push it off, and run like hell.

slayer
Old 07-25-2004, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

I used to work for a bee outfit and we would move the bee boxes at night.They would still boil out of their boxes and sting you.Wasps are more aggressive and can sting more than once unlike a honey bee.I have brought several wasps nests home.You need to climb your tree when it is still dark out.Be as quite and move as slow as possible.Try not to create any vibration.Wasps hate black and will sting the heck out of you if you are wearing it.Also they hate alcohol so don't drink before attempting this.Use a burlap sack and a can of wasp spray.Cover the nest with the sack and tie shut.If any come boiling out spray the heck out of them.Good luck.If you don't get bit you will be lucky.If you only get bit a few times you will be lucky also.I know this will work have done it several times.Baking soda and a little water helps after you get bit and so does witch hazel.If it were closer to the ground I'd say just spray it.
Good Luck.
Elkshed.
P.S.If you have somebody video tape you you might win the funniest videos.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:20 PM

all the ideas are good but the best ones are dr kill's,elkshed's and captain backstrap's.oh and randalT.........

s_h_o_o_t_r
Old 07-25-2004, 06:37 PM

Don't shoot it, touch it, or bother the trees around or next to it.

Two main predator's of the hive are coon's and wood peckers. If you can attact them to the area would be my suggestion.

The only other way is to wait for a good long freeze then you can get both.

Old 07-25-2004, 06:47 PM

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef620.htm

Hornets are far more difficult and dangerous to control than paper wasps. The nests resemble a large, inverted tear-drop shaped ball which typically is attached to a tree, bush or side of a building. Hornet nests may contain thousands of wasps which are extremely aggressive when disturbed. The nests are often located out of reach and removal is best accomplished by a professional pest control firm.

A full wasp suit sealed at the wrists, ankles and collar is recommended when disposing of a hornet nest. Treatment can be accomplished by applying a wasp freeze-type, aerosol insecticide or dust formulation (Sevin, or Ficam,) directly into the nest opening. Hornet nests have a single opening, usually toward the bottom, where the wasps enter and exit. It is essential that the paper envelope of the nest not be broken open during treatment or the irritated wasps will scatter in all directions, causing even greater problems.

Following treatment, wait at least a day before removing the nest to ensure that all of the wasps are killed. If hornets continue to be observed, the application may need to be repeated. Experienced pest control operators will sometimes remove a hornet nest which is attached to a branch by slipping a plastic garbage bag over the intact nest and clipping it at the point of attachment. This technique should not be attempted by anyone else and should only be done at night with a wasp suit.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/bhornets.html

Preserving and Displaying a Hornet's Nest
The Baldfaced Hornet is a social wasp found in the familiar large, gray, paper nests attached to a tree branch, shrub, utility pole or house. The paper-like nests are made of chewed wood fiber mixed with saliva. Hornet nests are frequently displayed in nature centers, schools, and natural history museums. They can also be displayed in the home as a conversation piece! Below are answers to the most common questions about displaying a hornetÃ*s nest.

How is the nest collected? The easiest method of collecting a nest is to wait until after the hornets have abandoned the nest in the fall (after the first hard freeze or by late October). Hornet nests are annual; they last one summer and all occupants freeze or die of old age in the fall. Collect the nest as soon as possible because exposed, unprotected nests are subject to destruction by wildlife and weather. Collecting a nest in summer requires a degree of boldness. During the coolest part of the night and with the least disturbance possible, rapidly slip a large plastic bag over the nest. Close the bag around the limb above the nest. Tie the bag shut and cut the limb from the tree. Kill the hornets by placing the entire bag in a freezer overnight.

Will I get stung from hornets that emerge from a collected nest? There will be few, if any hornets in a nest collected in late fall. If you feel the need to be extra-cautious, leave the nest in a garage or porch where it will be protected from the weather until mid-winter. Then bring the nest indoors.

Will the nest smell bad? The carcasses of hornets and larvae that remain in a collected nest may produce a mild odor before they completely dry up. If this is unacceptable, leave the nest in a protected outdoor location as mentioned above.

Does the nest need to be treated with varnish to preserve it? No. It is not necessary to treat the collected nest in any way. The nest will last almost indefinitely if it is suspended in a dry location where it will not be damaged by handling or vibration.

Will new hornets emerge from eggs that hatch after the nest is hung indoors? No. Hornet eggs laid inside the nest by the queen hatch into grublike larvae that must be fed and cared for by the workers. If any eggs hatched indoors the tiny larvae would perish.

Note: this information is valid for Iowa. It may or may not apply in your area.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:27 PM

I have that problem with at least on stand a year, not usually that big, usually about the size of a baseball, I get under it and throw a big stick up and knock it off then run, if you can damage the nest or knock it down they will leave, I just try to break it or knock it down then get out of there for a day or two then go back and check it.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

How about this? Think it would do the trick?

Old 07-25-2004, 07:31 PM

Wear all orange and climb the tree at 12:00 pm. Then grab the hive at the top and bottom; they won't sting if you grab it right.

When I was a kid, my dad told me if you held a bee really tight and there was no light getting through your fingers, it wouldn't sting. Well you can guess what happened shortly after![&:]

I would probably do something to the bees that won't destroy the nest. They look really neat.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you face two unique problems:

1) The nest is attached directly to your stand.

2) Your stand and the accompanying nest is 30 feet from the ground.

Because it's attached to your stand, you can't really wrap the hive. Because it's 30 feet above the ground, throwing a rock/branch at it and hitting it the first time is a pretty low percentage. If you "injure" the hive, the hornets will simply rebuild---the inner cargo is too valuable.

I can think of two options.

1) Possibly a large volumed fire extinguisher or fire retardant spray. Check with your local firehouse, or ask one of your local volunteer fireman. I've used the foam before on a large hive, with good success. But the hive was only 10 feet off the ground.

2) This one is a little more daring, but may work. I'm thinking...build a torch. If it's 30 feet, you would need to build it from something light enough...perhaps a few lengths of copper pipe soldered together, or 1 inch PVC. Check for spine, then wrap with cotton cloth strips. Take it too your stand, then build a nice little campfire close by, with lots of green evergreen boughs for smoke---this smoke should push the hornets upwards. Next, light that torch and have at it...with the objective being to basically knock the hive from the tree with the torch, not to burn it.

You may want the fire extinguisher handy for this one too

How soon does you season start...just wondering about scent control. If you can't get it down without leaving unnatural scent, just curious how much time you have before season...

Quick Reply: Help with unwanted residents of my treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.