Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Flashlights to deer stand >

Flashlights to deer stand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Flashlights to deer stand

Old 04-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

What???? You mean on state lands you actually saw them coming in BEFORE daylight???? Lord the problem I had on state lands in PA was them coming in after dawn

Lord I just noticed that Patricia dug this one out of a DEEP old grave.

I use a green LED light. The green lights will not spook deer because they can't see them. Same with red. They don't have green or red cone receptors in their eyes. Not to mention Oldtimer, the green lights won't blow your night vision very much either. Takes me a LOT less time to recover than it does from a regular light. Usually no more than a minute or 2 if any time at all.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

I use to go to my stands without a light, but as I've gotten older, common sense has crept in and safety has become more important to me than a deer. You were one lucky person to see that kid drawing his bow back. SCARY!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
If there is no moon or a small one and it is really black, I use a light aimed at the ground about 3 feet in front of me so I don't trip over a limb that wasn't there last time I hunted. I look ahead of the beam so I do not look directly at the light. I will clear the path prior to the season and on my way out each time I hunt but it is not uncommon for a limb to come down after I leave, especially if there is a wind at night. I really hate using a light because it blows my night vision for a while after it is turned off, but it is a necessary evil when getting in the stand when it is pitch black . I still remember when I used to hunt on State game lands and it looked like a bunch of fireflies comming through the woods, lights being swung around through the trees even up in the trees like these folks were scared something may have bee hiding in the trees waiting to attack them.
I was walking in way early one morning, moving quiet and slow. I learned a long time ago to move like a Deer, it is a rhythm more than exact copy of the sound. I use the same walking rhythm a Deer uses when it is coming from cover into a feeding area. Well anyway, I'd step, step, step, stop and look. step, step stop and look. Then I stepped and stopped and heard a crunch, crunch, or two extra steps that weren't mine. I looked to the right out of the corner of my eyes, kept my eyes moving to enhance my night vision and eventually picked up a shape in the woods. It was a large sow moving parallel with me through the woods, maybe ten yards away. It was amazing how quiet she was. She'd stop when I stopped and look at me around a tree trunk and would move when I moved. I was wondering who was hunting whom and decided I was near enough to the shooting tower to make a break for it.

It was funny, that Sow kind of reminded of a girl on a camping trip who goes behind a tree to take a pee and forgets her rear end is hanging out This was a big Sow, best guess 300 plus, most of her wasn't covered by these two foot wide trees.

Darn Hogs get past a certain age and they get canny, survival of fittest. The stupid ones are usually the first to die.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually use a red/white headlamp but as I get older I use the white more than the red.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Spike

Default favorite light

A few years back I went on a bowhunting trip to central Indiana and realized I forgot my hat. Went to walmart and purchased a new one and after I purchased it I noticed that it had LED's in the brim. 2 on the leading edge of the bill and 2 under the bill. Hadn't seen anything like that before. Fell in love with that hat got married and lived happily ever after. perfect for walking in to my tree (I have a real fear of the old spider webs in my face in the dark. Creeps me out bigtime) Perfect for hands free activities. gettin the stand ready and then climbing is a breeze. Can see everything. I wear it all the time for my activities. You can't believe how many times that thing comes in handy. Hooking up boat, changing a tire, tying a lure. Will always have one from now on.