Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Flashlights to deer stand >

Flashlights to deer stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Flashlights to deer stand

Old 07-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Spike

Default RE: Flashlights to deer stand

I have always used one when going in or out of the woods, Maybe its helped me without my knowing it. Guess that why the hunting regs in NY say sunrise to sunset, according to posted times... Glad you are okay. Hope he has learned a lesson too.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:51 PM

As far as spooking deer is concerned, 1. the deer have no idea where I am going, and 2. It is unlikely that the deer I am hunting is going to be in my path to the stand.

On safety, not only could you be mistaken for game, I have busted my arse pretty good while walking out under a 3/4 moon thinking it was light enough to see. Small, but very sturdy stumps can be very hard to see I low light.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a small LED headlamp that has 1 red LED & 2 white ones. You can choose which one you use. I typically use the red one and it is plenty bright. We all picked one up at Walmart for about $13.

Here's a link to the one I have.

LINK
Old 07-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

I usually don't use a light, I had a simalar experiance comeing out of a swamp after dark on public land, I heard the arrow slide and could see the poachers siloette against the cloudy sky. I just yelled "HEY" at him and kept going. When I have my radio with me I leave it on when comeing in and out. The flashing red light will alert anybody thinking your a deer, but won't spook deer unless they are so close they would aready be spooked by your presence. I have also seen simalar tiny red flashing pin on lights used for the same reason, but I dop not know who the manufacture is.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Sometimes... but usually not. When I do it's the little Amber Led on my Streamlight Syclone. Great light, doesn't alert game but is visible to others. Lights the ground just enough for you to see but not really visible to any critters out of my line of travel.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use and think those little Streamlight "Stylus" led lights are perfect.......with the little hood it shoots almost a soft laserlike beam on the ground that you can't see from the sides so I doubt it spooks game. I have a green one and use it all the time.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

when gun hunting on public land i do everything but blow a horn when walking in the dark to and from the stand, as a matter of fact i carry a cordless 2 million candlewatt q beem and have almost knocked hunters out of the tree,s with that bright as$ thing ,, when it comes to my safety i make sure other idiots can see me and tell that im not a deer even if it meens spoking some game.. if someone draws back on me and i catch them , they better shoot me cause im gonna do some a$$ kicking

dr kill
Old 07-23-2004, 09:19 PM

I'm either using a standard mini mag light or a green Sreamlight Stylus. I dont worry about getting shot on my own land. but, if i got shot at or somebody drew a bead on me, i would be shooting back or i'd be up that tree whooping on them. i put the stylus on the bill of my cap, so i see ahead of me and any potential tresspassers or poachers see me.

slayer
Old 07-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Dominant Buck

when gun hunting on public land i do everything but blow a horn when walking in the dark to and from the stand
So YOU'RE the guy with the dang airhorn.[8D]

P.S. I find your Cyber name offensive.[8D]
Old 07-23-2004, 10:59 PM

Sometimes big thing come in little packages.
That is what comes to mind NOW. I got this light for a sponsorship at an National Wild Turkey Federation Banquet.

Everyone was laughing about it, did not think much about it. Well let me shed some light on you with this Safety Green LED glow Streamlight Stylus

The nice problem that I have is we have so much turkeys and deer on the property we hunt it is hard not to spook them walking in before daylight.

Youth season I have to use a flashlight so that the my young 8 year old son will feel comfortable walking in the dark to the blind.

But we have spooked birds in the past doing this. This year I had this light and my Turkey Vest had a place for a pen so it fit nicely and thought the green might not be as bad.

First time out WOW had it hanging around my neck turned it on and we had plenty of light for us both to walk by.

Now my season came around had roosted some birds close. But thought they were farther away than I thought. Walked in right under the tree a nice 3 year old gobbler was roosting in. Put the decoy's out using the light and sat down. It was only to my amazement when he started gobbling 40 yards away on how much I appreciated this light.

But it does not stop there. I now hang this light in my truck when the boy needs to find something in the floor board or if I need a handy flashlight.

We even used this light to go fishing one night with three young kids. I was great could still see and did not draw the bugs in.

Also at the same Resort we had been fishing in I had the light sitting on the nightstand and we are on the fourth floor of the Resort. I wanted to see how far out it would shine. Just lit up the ground 40 feet below.

This will be my main hunting and fishing light for a long time to come.

Can't wait to try it out during deer season.

I also will buy more for my family to use also.

2nd story

November 8th after the last weekend of a hot doe and buck gang chasing I left an hour extra to get set up since the Pre-Rut was here by the Deer Daylight Activity Index. I switched to BF-Rut and sprayed it as I walked along the ridge hoping any deer crossing the ridge would follow.

I was using a StreamLight Green flashlight that helps me see more at night. I had great success with it during spring season not spooking gobblers off roost. Have been using it to see while I climb and had work great so far. But, was not sure how it affected deer. This will come into play twice during the morning that

After getting set up in the stand that morning it was still dark. I was hunting the same saddle and tree as the weekend before. Hoping that one of the bucks would come by this morning.

About 6:15 a.m. had a deer snorting several times south of me near the main gravel road. I have been waiting on my friend to show up. He was going to hunt the ladder stand just north of me. Well about 6:30 a.m. I could see the green light along the ridge coming. Then it went off.

I guess that he decided to walk the last 60 yards in the dark to the stand. Then I could here him walking, but he kept going along the ridge past the ladder stand location and them came back. That’s when I realize it was not him but a deer, so I stood up and here it came as soon as it hit my scent trail I had left again. Then I could barely see the antlers until it was right underneath the stand. I moved my bow to get ready, but I hit the stand and I look straight up at me and snorted and took off back to the ridge.

What had happen is the buck was following my scent trail but was 30 yards in front of my friend, which had decided to hunt the spot the deer crossed the weekend before. He could hear the buck snorting but never could see it because he was on the other side of the ridge and to the east.

The buck continued over the ridge and into the valley snorting the as he went.

6:45 a.m. here came a doe and a yearling over the ridge and thru the saddle and hit the scent trail and followed right to my scent container’s 15 yards away. They stood there and I waited for them to pass by a big tree to shoot.

But then turned and went back the direction they came. When they got back in the valley they started snorting for some reason.

7:00 a.m. another group of three does and yearling coming out of the valley over the ridge and right thru the saddle. They also followed the scent trail.

This time the lead doe and yearling past by the big tree and the third doe was behind big tree and the fourth doe stop to smell the scent containers. I pulled back and then the third doe came back to smell the fourth doe and I shot and hit the doe thru the back and into the lungs.

The three doe’s went south out of site and the arrowed doe went out of site to the east.

Well no use to get down just yet still can fill a buck tag. And with that many doe’s coming thru something is sure to follow.

7:15 a.m. I here something coming from the east and heading in my direction. Well a group of turkey’s started moving into the woods I was hunting. They stayed for about 10 minutes and moved on, just out of bow range the entire time.

Well at 7:30 here comes three more does from over the ridge but this time from where my friend is located.

They are spooked tails are raised, heads are turned, and even hoofed the ground once or twice before came closer.

They finally are within 30 yards and they take off running with a fourth doe following up. My friend said they came by him and went over the ridge with the fourth doe watching him the entire way and making the others nervous.

That was it for the hunting segment of the morning. After getting down and tracking the doe I shot we came across where the last four does had came from and four bedding spots within 20 yards of the ridge road right in one of the main trail roads that I had passed earlier that morning.

At least in appearance the green light in two case’s did not seem to spook the deer.

Quick Reply: Flashlights to deer stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.