HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   The Grand PVC Stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/66930-grand-pvc-stand.html)

HAZCON7 07-23-2004 07:29 AM

The Grand PVC Stand

If anyone cares:

I finally have all the joints glued and screwed - took the better part of 3 days.
This thing is Rock Solid and SILENT!!

I was able to move and flip the stand over by myself (50lbs maybe?)
I climbed to the top and jumped around to test it out.
I still have to put the carpeted deck on, secure the steel guide wires, and paint.

For those that said it wouldn't be strong enough - it is.
and those that said it wouldn't be quiet - it is.
and those that said it was too expensive - well u were right there! :D

I should have the finished pictures setup at its semi-permanent residence by Monday.

adams 07-23-2004 07:52 AM

RE: The Grand PVC Stand

You should be a cabinet maker:D:D. It looks really good. What are you planning for paint?

GroundHunter 07-23-2004 07:54 AM

Looks great!! Now let us know how it holds up 2 yrs from now after the elements start attacking it. The sun is a beast on PVC. Any petroleum product (pvc) will weaken with constant exposure to the sun. Better get ready to paint that puppy every year if you want it to last.

Nonetheless.......good job!!!

GroundHunter 07-23-2004 07:56 AM

Also, on your horiz. bottom runs, shouldn't you have turned the 45's up instead of down? Seems it would have been stronger that way. I probably would have run those vertical braces back to the main post because that horiz. bottom brace is taking alot of load. You may want to add a kicker under each one of those.

HAZCON7 07-23-2004 08:07 AM

Good point on the kicker, might be something to consider before I finish it up. I had actually thought about those supports being upside down only after it was "too late" to change it. They should be pointing the other direction (top of and arch instead of bottom of an arch) but I built it upside down and overlooked it. There are a couple of minor flaws like that but really I'm just ready to get it finished and get it in position so the deer have as much time as possible to get used to it. But I might add those kickers! Thanks

HAZCON7 07-23-2004 08:14 AM

For paint I was considering a handpainted rivers edge long grass pattern on the bottom half blending over a mossy oak on the upper half - but.... probably will just paint it black/grey

NorthernMN 07-23-2004 08:24 AM

Is it just me or does that thing look like it belongs in a playground?:D

Or maybe the fun room at Mcdonalds:D

Really, it does look pretty good. Can't wait to see how it looks when you get it all painted up. Don't forget to sand it before you paint it or the paint won't stick very well.;)

Stump_MN_Hunter 07-23-2004 09:25 AM

I like to hear a report of how it works for you after season of use. Plus I'd like to know if it's also going to be quiet in weather of 30 degrees and colder. Looks really nice. Good job. I hope you glued all of those joints together in an enclosed area.

daystalker 07-23-2004 09:55 AM

like i said hazcon, if it gets to noisy your kids will love it for at least a year or two :D

let me know what kind of finish you plan on putting on it, i woudl try to get a clear coat or something like rustoleum, to protect it from getting rain in the joints. did you caulk the joints? or put extra sealer around them all?

good luck!

extreme1 07-23-2004 10:25 AM

Hazcon7---just a thought---It might be a little expensive but why not try the camo duct tape,will last and help silent the stand down even more.

How high did you make it---looks like a neet project:)