HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   who really uses one of these? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/66650-who-really-uses-one-these.html)

daystalker 07-20-2004 02:22 PM

who really uses one of these?

i was just up at my local pro shop and there was a guy in there raving about his NEW laser sight. he says it puts up a nice red dot for him to see. "I could even shoot the bow sideways and hit what IM aiming at"... does that sound just DUMB or is it me? [&:] has anyone ever used one of these? or has anyone seen them being used?

adams 07-20-2004 02:34 PM

RE: who really uses one of these?

I believe it is illegal where I hunt. I'm willing to bet it is illegal most everywhere for hunting. It kinda takes the sport out of bow hunting. If I wanted lazer accuracy I'd shoot a gun:)

c903 07-20-2004 02:44 PM

Just putting a "dot" on a deer, if you can see it (contrast, camo, lighting conditions, etc,) does not omit all other necessary form and tuning aspects that enables accuracy.

Another gimmick! :eek:

daystalker 07-20-2004 03:05 PM

as i figured. i believe it IS illegal here in IL. in fact this guy had a handicapped parking tag so who knows, and appearantly they are perfectly leagal in Il. and if hes handicapped why isnt he using the clause that he can use a crossbow? it just doesnt make any sence to me. i also wanted to know how accurate these are? i mean especially if the bow isnt tuned properly?

can this guy make a descent shot at an animal to bring it down? some times i wonder about people[&o][:@]

JZarr 07-20-2004 03:11 PM

Edited because apparently I'm stupid. :(

Hill Hopper 07-20-2004 03:18 PM

They are illegal in Arkansas.

DR KILL 07-20-2004 03:44 PM

i have a 9mm rifle witch i have a lazer sight on and i cant see the dang lazer when im outside only in low light conditions,and indoor ranges , besides that how would you like to have the buck of a lifetime come in at 35 yards and stand in the sunlight and you cant even see your dot because he is brighter then your lazer? i sight in my cobra sights and can shoot my bow almost sideways and still hit the bull to, so he dont impress me to much lol, some guys just cant resist a gimik when they see it

Bird Hunt Dog 07-20-2004 04:07 PM

I have a laser on my .22 pistol. Its kind of cool but I would never buy another one. Like these guys said the only time you can see it is in the dark or close to dark. Hunting with a laser here is also illegal. I use my pistol just for fun.

eng40sqd 07-20-2004 05:22 PM

Also very illiegal here in the great Commonwealth of Virginia

davidmil 07-20-2004 05:46 PM

They're illegal in a lot of states.... but not in others. Len put one on his bow for a while just to see what it did. The thing puts a solid dot you have NO PROBLEM seeing under any conditions where you might use it. It's really bright. He played with it for a while but finally yanked it off. I don't remember the exact reason other than he just wanted to experiment with it and it may have come loose a couple times. BUT... it sure does put a dot on the critter.

There isn't much that's been made he hasn't tried, researched, disassembled and tinkered with and critiqued. Must be that engineer degree makes him curious.[8D]