HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   whats the best deer FEED to plant? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/66526-whats-best-deer-feed-plant.html)

daystalker 07-19-2004 12:20 PM

whats the best deer FEED to plant?

i was just wondering about all the different types of deer feed, not the deer cocaine i have a good recipe for that :) but something like alphalpha or clovers? who has planted or seeded with any type of food and what was your experiences.

thank you all for your time

adams 07-19-2004 12:41 PM

RE: whats the best deer FEED to plant?

I've got a small 1/2 acre plot of imperial clover that I planted in May. I was out in it spraying to kill grasses on Saturday and it is knee high. I've got a doe and two fawns that frequent the plot quite often durring noon time hours. I also planted a 30'x30' plot of powerplant early in June and it is probably 3 1/2' to 4' tall. The deer have been eating this stuff up. If your unfamilar with powerplant it is a mix of sunflowers, peas and beans as well as a couple of other plants.

If you're planning on planting this fall you'll need to make sure you are planting a fall crop. The wildlife managment forum is full of good info.

Double Creek 07-19-2004 01:00 PM

I've got a good 3 acre stand of Max Attract 50/50. This stuff jumped out of the ground and was 4-6 inches tall 5 days after planting.

I plan on trying some power plant next spring.

daystalker 07-19-2004 01:32 PM

thats awesome, thanks guys.

i had a question about the max atractant 50/50, can you get it in a fall mixture? and when should the fall aplication be planted? and can i get this stuff at my local sports store? say bass proshop?

adams what about the clover? say i only have about 10 acres to plant and 1/2 of that is field. where shoudl i put the clovers next spring? near open areas or can they be planted in the darker area under the big oak cannopy?
thanks again guys

Andy

WV Hunter 07-19-2004 01:34 PM

I personally prefer clover plots because they are relatively low maintenance, and if taken care of properly can last for quite a few years. It really depends on your soil and what you are trying to accomplish.

Adams you better mow that clover!! Knee high by 4th of July is for corn;);) [8D]

WV Hunter 07-19-2004 01:37 PM

Daystalker...any plot that you want the best results from should have plenty of sun. Do your homework before you jump into planting anything. And definitely do a soil test or multiple tests depending on where you will plant. Good luck:)

daystalker 07-19-2004 01:58 PM

yeah teh area is surrounded by farmland. in northern illinois about some of teh most furtile soil around. the corn here is about 4-5' high already. i had to fight my way back to the property.

the reason for wanting to plant something in away from the corn is i want to offer a more private area for the deer. to kinda give them the sence no one is there and its safer to eat here. also i think it will help with moving some of the deer away from the edge of the fields sooner. maybe even change soem of the patern of teh local deer into the area at which my stand will be.

is this the wrong approach? any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

adams 07-19-2004 02:32 PM

Powerplant is a spring plant. I checked to see about imperial clover and it can be planted in the fall. As suggested definately get a soli sample. It will save you headaches and keep you from guessing. Here are some planting dates

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/in...nting/fall.php for the fall

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/in...ing/spring.php for the spring

With clover you'll want as much day light as possible. If you have some shady areas you may want to try secret spot. It's cheap 10$ to plant 3000sg'. I have a bag I'm getting ready to plant. I just have the ambition to start another project. This requires less ground prep and only requires at least 4 hours of sunlight a day.

Double Creek 07-19-2004 02:36 PM

You can plant Max attract as a fall hunting plot as well. It is 50% legumes(beans/peas) and 50% grains(oats, wheat, etc). For my area, the fall planting time is September. Not sure about up north.

daystalker 07-19-2004 03:09 PM

thanks adams and double creek, the info is very much appreciated, i think maybe a variety of stuff will be good.
i also dont want anything that needs A LOT of care as i want to be somewhat sucsessfull and get more into next year. thanks again guys

one question. i noticed that it said something about a plow. do i need to plow the area will i need any equipment? OTHER than a spreader. im not planning on planting more than a 1/8th of a acre at a time as thats about as much space that i have to plant something that is in the sun more than 6 hours a day.

and adams the secret spot will that be easy to plant and only needs 4 hours or does your new ambition to star this project refer to that? thanks