Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another question from Mr. Ignorant >

Another question from Mr. Ignorant

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another question from Mr. Ignorant

Old 07-19-2004, 01:16 PM

Default RE: Another question from Mr. Ignorant

Jimbohunter1,Do yourself a favor and don't go cheap on the arrows.I've been there and done that,it will just cost you more in the long run.I shoot an LX,30in.draw@63lbs,and my arrows are cut @28.5-so my set-up is close to yours.This year I tried to go with the Axis-400's,and they seem to preform OK,but I have issues with the straightness.I also gave the Gold-Tip Pro-Hunters(5575's),very nice arrows,but they would only weight out to 379grs and I want to shoot 413-418grs.
Well,after all that,I'm going with what I wanted in the first place-ACC-3-60's.These are some great arrows,[email protected],100gr.tip,and 4in.Duravanes,they weigh in at 415grs.No straightness or spine questions with the ACC's,and they group great.
By the way,I buy bare shafts and set my own arrows up.A couple of my hunting buddies shoot the same draw as I,so I just sell them the ones that don't make it in my quiver!Good Luck...Bob
Old 07-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stay far away from the Ebay arrows. What guys are doing is buying 5-6 dozen at a time, checking their weight, spine and consistency, pulling out the best to make up a good, matched set for themselves and selling their culls. Technically, the arrows are still brand new, but they've been picked over. What you're actually buying is the crappy shafts that are someone else's rejects.

I'd second Double Creek's recommendation.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:07 PM

You can get 1/2 a dozen good arrows for $50 or less. I would go that route. Shoot them, if they fly great and you think you need more, go buy more.
Contrary to what many bowhunters on this board think, you don't need 3 dozen arrows on hand at all times.
I was thinking along the same lines, Double Creek. $50 or $60 seems a lot more reasonable than $120. And what would I do with all those arrows? Six of them should last me a year or two and if I don't like them, I can just try some different ones.

You probably spent a grand setting up your bow and now you want to shoot cheap arrows? Makes no sence at all. Spend $100 or $120 and buy the best arrows $$$$ can buy.
Easy, greasy. Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning Adams? BTW, for the record, I spent half "a grand" on my bow.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:48 PM

I respectfully disagree, My wife has 100+ pairs of shoes, I have only a couple extra dozen sets of arrows. It's just not fair IMHO You can't have enough arrows.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:06 PM

jim, do not listen to them about ebay, you can get brand new shafts still in the box the same shafts or arrows that you can buy from a shop, all you need to do is go to a shop and get them cut on a HIGH speed cutter ( 8000RPM not a dremel) and the inserts installed, but think about us bread and butter shops out their we are here to help and we need to feed out families. gold tip are great arrows so are pse and carbon express actually they are all good but do you need .001 straightness NO .006 is good enough for whitetail and shots under 70 yards heheheh..so do not spent 120$ a dozen unless you are getting 2 dozen with feathers, unless you want to, as for vanes or feathers depends on what you want then to look like . I shot vanes up intill 2 years ago and now I shoot 5 inch feathers, I just wanted a better FOC and less weight out back, feather are forgiving and I think they last longer but you have to treat them kinder, and waterproof them if you hunt in the rain (which I dont) hope this helps...
Old 07-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

jim, do not listen to them about ebay, you can get brand new shafts still in the box...
You can take the arrows out of the package, check them out, keep out the good ones and replace them with the bad ones from another package, seal 'em up and, since they are unused, you can sell them as new. There was quite an enlightening thread on that subject last summer. One that certainly lowered my opinion of quite a few people on this forum. According to the number of people that said they are doing that, the practice certainly appears to be widespread.

The simple fact is, you have no way of knowing whether you're getting shafts as packaged at the factory or if they've been repackaged by someone who's selling you their culls.

Buyer beware!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:47 PM

Art P:

There was quite an enlightening thread on that subject last summer. One that certainly lowered my opinion of quite a few people on this forum.
I clearly recall the thread. It got a little hot. What was hard to swallow was that those that were doing it also recommended that others do it, and the perps just could not see the deception and wrong involved; or they did/do and their character is also inferior.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Authur P ! thank's for that little tip ,although I haven't bought arrow's off of e-bay I have bought lot's of other gear for my bow and had been considering buying arrow's .Thank's again

I have used P.S.E.'s Carbon "Force arrow's and thought for the money that they were among the cheapest arrows to buy ,they also weren't bad shooters .

nubo
Old 07-19-2004, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

I think for your setup especially if you crank it up, you'll need to go to to the 7595's on the goldtips to spine right. And it'll only add 20 grains or so.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:44 AM

According to the number of people that said they are doing that, the practice certainly appears to be widespread.
Wow! I must have missed that thread. Fortunately, I buy all mine from a local bow shop that I trust. I just can't imagine doing that, and then posting on a public forum that you did.

Quick Reply: Another question from Mr. Ignorant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.