Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Checking trail cameras >

Checking trail cameras

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Checking trail cameras

Old 07-15-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Checking trail cameras

I just bought a stealth cam about 2 weeks ago, I checked after 1 week, only had 6 pictures, well, 7 if you count the 1 it took of me. My question is how often do you check your camera? I set it up on a trail thats coming from a bedding area, the run was so worn it almost looked like a dirt bike trail.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Checking trail cameras

I check mine every weekend, I will go thru a roll of 24 every week.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

hey CJ I check mine every three weeks and amd stoked if i have 6 pics on it. The stleathcams are fussy sometimes with the sensors, not bashing yours because I use the same thing, but its worth it for only $60.
Anyway where I live you dont get very many pics of the deer and the woods are thick, Im going to get mine in about 12 days.

Jim
Old 07-15-2004, 06:56 PM

If it is just set up on a trail, 6 pics a week is pretty good. If it is set up over bait you can get a full roll in a week. It just depends on how you use it. What ever, be sure to post those pics when you get them back.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like to set up over brait, you don't learn much about what they are doing - all's you learn is that they like the bait. You do however learn "whats in the area".

I like scrapes - even in the off season - look for the bigger ones near bedding areas - with good licking branches. I think the average person would be suprised how often deer (bucks & does) visit old scrape sites year round.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:17 AM

A lot will have to do with herd size and where you've set up. I set my cam up in a travel corridor that has 3-4 travel routes through it. I can leave my cam for 3 weeks on a set of batteries but usually check it every 7-10 days to make sure it hasn't grown legs. If I get 10-15 pics a week I'm happy. I don't set up over bait and I avoid setting up my can in either of the two stands location on that property. I want to get an idea of whats around but I don't want to spook the deer. I also don't set up on the trails that lead to the two small plots I planted or on the food plots. I want the deer to feed at their liberty without intrusion.