Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To harness up or not >

To harness up or not

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To harness up or not

Old 07-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: To harness up or not

Here is an old thread I started way back when. I've always used the Summit Seat O' Pants harness. Will, from Summit, sent me this new SOP Vest to test out and give feedback on. Check out the link. Got some pics of what the vest is like. Pretty nice, and I'll deffinately be using it this year.

I don't leave the groiund without being attached to the tree. The first time I ever went deer hunting, I was in a tree about 20 feet. Homemade stand. A gust of wind came and moved the tree. SCARED THE S*^# out of me. Ever since then, I'll never go up without one. I have forgot mine a couple times....just found a ground blind instead. Anyway, check out the new vest from Summit, it's worth a look.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...1&key=&#555773

Jay
Old 07-15-2004, 07:29 PM

I am a good friend of mine and I bought the vest saftey harness. Every year there are some accidents and every year some one gets hurt or crippled because it couldn't happen to them. I paid the money because I'm worth it. I also made my boss buy one too which he did. I'll make him wear it too. which he will. After all if he falls that means I'll have to do all the work, can't have that. he owes it to his wife and kids to wear it anyway. So If you are strapped for money to buy one send me a PM and I will mail you the one that summit sent out with the tree stand. I won't be using that one this year. So you can. It isn't that hard to put on once you catch on to it, the vest is easier though.

saftey harness don't climb a tree without one.[]
Old 07-15-2004, 07:56 PM

WEAR SOMETHING - wether its a vest, full body harness, or a belt.... use something - you will be real glad you did if something happens. Im a cat in a tree - and thought "Ill never fall" well just 2 years ago I was climbing and my climbing stick broke at a weld - I didnt fall but I tell you what - I now even climb with a harness (like mountain climers use - a climbers grip/slip knot) My point is - it CAN happen to YOU....... 20 years old or 60.... it can happen - be careful - you deserve it, and so does your family
Good luck, god bless and be safe.....
Old 07-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

i have a few harness'. i have one permanantly sewn to my coveralls, i have a vest system, and a few full body harness'. i try to make them as easy to use as possible, especially when getting ready in the dark
Old 07-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 2 friends that are paralized from the waist down because they didn't see the need for a safety belt or harness.One of them spent 2 days stuck in the woods before someone came to find him.(wife worked first shift and he worked thirds so she didn't see him much and after the second day she realized he didn't sleep in his bed).This is why I ALWAYS make sure someone knows where I am and when I plan on being back.

I had a safety belt save me once.I fell asleep with my legs propped up on the tree in front of me and when they fell off,I went forward and opened my eyes and I was looking straight at the ground and the belt was holding on to me.

I had the belt cost me a shot at a nice buck a couple years back because it got sinched up and wouldn't allow me to turn into position and I told myself never again,I now wear the Seat-o-the pants harness and once you have it on,you don't even know it's there.

For your sake and those who love you,wear a safety harness!!!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 06:39 AM

Bees,

Thanks for the offer. I'm not strapped just stingey.LOL 80$ isn't a whole lot when I compare it what I spend on hunting. It seems the vest and the seat of the pants are the two most popular types on the market, I'll have to check them out this weekend and pick one up. I've never fallen out of a stand but I had a wooder rung on a ladder stand I built let go when I was younger. I only took a 10 footer but landed flat on my back. It wasn't a plesant experience.

I'm glad to see most everyone is taking the safe route. Mr.Murphy is always looking for place to hunt as well Hunt hard, Hunt safe and good luck this fall.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:03 AM

A very nice body harness came with my purchase of my Summit stand. I wear this harness 100% of the time and don't feel comfortable without it regardless if it's bow or shotgun season. There have been times I forgot the security rope to attach tot he tree and I have shimmied down the tree to retrieve it. Like a seat belt in a car, i use it all the time. 1-2 times it actually came in really handy during sloppy momments up in the stand!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:28 AM

I wear seat o the pants any time I am in my treestand
Old 07-16-2004, 11:09 AM

Your stories have forced me to act. I picked up a seat of the pants harness off ebay for $30.63 including shipping. This is a very small price to pay to avoid a good digger. I assure you my family appreciates your good instructions and common sense.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:23 AM

I never used to wear a harness. I can climb like an ape and I'd never come close to falling out. Then on one cold morning in November I woke up on the ground spitting out teeth through my split upper lip. I needed 12 stitches, lost the feeling in my scalp, pinched a nerve in my shoulder, crushed three bones in my skull, had a week long hospital stay and missed the rest of the hunting season. And I was lucky... Many haven't been so lucky.

Never hunt without a harness.

Quick Reply: To harness up or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.