Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scary Things, Boo! >

Scary Things, Boo!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scary Things, Boo!

Old 07-16-2004, 04:38 PM

Default RE: Scary Things, Boo!

When i was hunting in the middle of the woods one time i had my gun rested on the fallen down tree next to me aimed where all the deer cross well my luck had it that while i was sitting there a squirrel happened to fall out of the tree right next to me and land in my lap. scared the H3ll out of me and my underwear never saw another day, and i think if the squirrel had been wearing underwear, it wouldnt have seen another day either
Big Dog
Old 07-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was duck hunting on the Cheasapeak and was napping during a slow time with my arm resting on the side of the blind. I was suddenly awakened by a very large whooping crane that decided to land on my arm. To this day that is how I think I hurt my back, I jumped over the front of the blind and ended up in the shoeline muck.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:01 PM

A peacock scream will make tour skin crawl.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually scare the crap out of my self. Just when you start thinking about you'll step on a branch that will move something 4 foot in front of you or to the side or even behind you.
Quail will always make you jump out of your britches for sure.
I did see an odd animal once, didnt scare me just dont know what it was. Was about the size of a small pig with long curly hair, it just waddled across the road in front of me just befor dusk, there were three of us walkin down the old dirt road (trail) I was the only one that saw it and was convinced it was a chupa cabra LOL.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a freaky encounter with a bear one season. I had left my treestand at the base of a tree overnight planning on getting their before light the next day again. Well, I got to my stand the next morning and though "WTF?". My stand was twisted around the tree and all out of sorts. Well, I carry a flashlight with me, but usually don't use it much. I took it out of my pocket about the time I heard something on the backside of the tree, about 40 or so yards away. I couldn't see anything, so I turned on the light to see, to my suprise, a pair of eyes looking at me! Man o man, the hair on my neck stood up and I had goose bumps all over. I saddled up on the stand and made the quickest climb you'll ever see. It was one of the only times I ever climbed a tree not connected with a safety harness!

Here's the kicker. The bear pranced around my stand till daylight occasionally coming up to the base of the tree and clawing at it while looking up at me. He would pop his jaws a little, growl some, then prance around.

The real bummer? I left my bow on the ground and never hooked my pull cord to it in my hasty accent.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

<<< I'm the scariest thing in the woods - what do I have to be afraid of?
Old 07-17-2004, 03:16 PM

I remember last year opening day of bow season in montana and i finished my day and klimbed off of the hay stack and was walking home after dark.I swore i herd something behing me and turned to look but it was to dark to see so i kept walkind and the darn thing kept getting louder so i turned about a min. later and come to find out to was a mulie spike and when we saw eachother we scared the crap out of eachother.We couldnt have been 20 feet from eachother.I couldnt find out why she would follow me like that and i remembered i had a scent drag tied to my boot.stoopid me huh.......that is the only scary thing thats happened to me.

shootr
Old 07-17-2004, 06:01 PM

Yeah, a peacock scream is weird. a farm about 3/4 miles from our house has them. another guy that lives a mile or so away has elk, and the first time i heard a bugle when i was on stand i though, what the hell? my first time every bowhunting last september, it was about 530 in the morning, damp, humid, foggy, and misting when i was walking through the CRP to get to my stand. All of a sudden, a pheasant rooster got bumped right under my foot and i damn near crapped my pants.

slayer
Old 07-18-2004, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

As a teenager, I had a number of times when I'd be hiking through the woods to a stand in the dark, and I'd hear something walking parallel to me in the woods. Whenever I would stop, the sound would stop. As soon as I would start walking, I would hear it again. I spent a lot of time stopping and shining my light around... The best scares would come when that was happening, and I was kind of nervous- and then a grouse would flush close by. After that I'd stand there swallowing hard to keep my heart from pumping itself out of my chest. I kind of miss those days.
I lived on a farm in Greenbrier county WV years ago...it was a 1 1/2 mile walk in or out as I had no 4wd at the time. I worked as a "river rat" on the New and Gauley rivers. Anyway I had the exact same thing happen to me....made the hair stand up on the back of my neck type thing. Turned out to be a Bobcat. Odd as it sounds that Bobcat became my friend and company as it followed me in and out most all of the time. I thought it was really cool, but it scared the crap out of me at first cause when I moved, it moved.....I stopped, it stopped.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:45 AM

A group of us head out to Wyoming mule deer hunting most every year to the same ranch. Next to the farm house they have irrigated alfalfa fields that the deer come to feed at night. Before season opens we try to pattern the bucks in order to figure where to sit in the morning.
One year a couple of guys in our group were sneaking through the pasture in morning darkness to the fields. The ranchers 20 year old horse walked up behind one of the guys, laid his head on the guys shoulder and snorted. Apparently he screamed like a little girl and took off running one way and the horse another! To this day everytime I see that horse I have to laugh.