Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 String loop: yes or no? >

String loop: yes or no?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String loop: yes or no?

Old 07-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Spike

Default String loop: yes or no?

Well, it's time to retire the ol' High Country. I'll probably get a Mathews. I went to shoot a couple models today and discovered I've probably fallen behind the times. I've never liked the idea of using a string loop, but quickly discovered it may be the way to go. The shop owner strongly recommended I use a loop. Actually, every single bow on the shelf had a loop already on it.

I see the reason to use it on a short bow like the Mathews Outback I shot. Less pinch on the arrow and better flight, etc. But I also shot the longer Mathews Ovation and like my old High Country Supreme, I saw less importance in "needing" a loop.

My biggest concern is changing my shooting technique by adding a loop. Currently, I'll place the arrow feather in the corner of my mouth as an anchor point. A little unorthodox, but it's served me well in performance. This will probably have to change if I add a loop.

What's your take on string loops? I hate to change a technique that I've used since age 8 when I shot a recurve and no sights. But am I missing out by not doing it? HELP?!!?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 PM

Default RE: String loop: yes or no?

I too use a vane in the mouth for a anchor, but also shoot a loop. I think you will like the loop one you get use to it. You wont wear out the serving. A added benefit is it also improved my accuracy.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Spike

O.K., so you're still able to shoot with the feather in your mouth. I suppose it simply felt odd today since I've never shot a loop before.

Boy, I can relate to the worn servings comment. It never failed one would blow up a couple weeks before the opener. We finally put some heavy duty serving string on which lasted longer.

Thanks! Anyone else? Fire away.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:00 PM

I've been using a ultra-nok II for a long time and I love it. But I have been pressured to try a loop ever since. Two weeks ago I put on a loop for the first time and since I was already using a ultra-nok my anchoring point didn't change. I have to say I like it alot and probably like it even more then my ultra-nok. my vote is yes but only time will convince me.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:51 PM

I got a string loop on my new Bowtech Liberty this year and I really like it. I wouldn't go back.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:14 PM

If you shoot a fall away I would go for the loop or if your bow is a short ATA. If you shoot a coventional rest I would stay with a nock & eliminator button. Thats my opinion so it dosn't count for a whole lot!

On my hunting bow I use a loop with a fallaway. On my 3-D bow I shoot off the string and have gone back to shooting a convetional rest. I have found I like to shoot my 3-D without the loop. If I shot a non fall away on my hunting bow I would not shoot a loop again! I have found that it just works really well with a fall away!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:20 AM

First of all....what is your draw length? Second of all...what bow are you going to shoot and how long is it? I would love to know what types of releases you guys are using that ALWAYS say that you have serving wear!!! I use a Scott(can't remember what type) and I have more serving wear from my arrow knocks than I do my release.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a loop on my bowtech pro 38 and love it. This is a bow with a long ATA and I still think it improved my accuracy. As far as using a vane in the corner of your mouth as an anchor point try using the knuckle of your index finger instead. This is the way I have always shot and it feels comfortable and always makes my shots consistant. It may take a little gatting used to but after a while it will be second nature.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

My biggest concern is changing my shooting technique by adding a loop. Currently, I'll place the arrow feather in the corner of my mouth as an anchor point. A little unorthodox, but it's served me well in performance. This will probably have to change if I add a loop.
I actually did the same as you as an added anchor point. Mainly because I have a longer draw and trying to touch the string to my nose is pretty much out of the question with most of todays short A to A bows. You borught back some memories, and I did like shooting that style a lot. May even go back to it.

Today, I use a string loop and a no-peep and am shooting pretty good. How much better then shooting off the string - not much at all.

I would say this, if you don't want to use the loop and continue shooting the way you are, then do it. Your confidence in your setup and ability will far outway using a loop or not.

Best of luck.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:36 AM

I've been shooting a loop since last fall and am happier with it then I was without it. I always shot ok with out in in years past but have found it's advantages. It is early enough in the year to make the switch. I'm sure if you do you will continue to shoot a loop.

Quick Reply: String loop: yes or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.