Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best Hunting Camp Size Requirements >

Best Hunting Camp Size Requirements

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Hunting Camp Size Requirements

Old 07-14-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Best Hunting Camp Size Requirements

We have 6 guys that hunt about a 3500 acre farm and have argued for a while on what should be a legal buck for our group. Instead of going by spread and points for our rules whe whent with one simple rule. "You Shoot It You Mount It" Believe me it really has improved the size of our bucks. It also cuts down on those right before dark accidental button buck that they could of swore it was a doe shots. We had one of those and it is now mounted and hanging in the camp. Let me tell you how much flack this guy takes every time we walk in the camp and admire his tropy. A guy will take a shot at a borderline spread point reqirement but when he knows he is going to dish out 300 dollars for a mount when he shoots he will think twice. It has also helped to stabilize our doe population that was once out of hand. Plus there is usually one guy that screws up each year and it sure is fun making fun of those mounts.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:33 PM

Default RE: Best Hunting Camp Size Requirements

That was very good thinking. I'm sure when in doubt, it walks now.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:27 PM

I usually try to restrict myself to a deer that I would mount. Many times I don't mount them, but I would not be ashamed to do so. I think the mount rule works for experienced hunters who already have several good bucks on the wall. But for newbies, they might mount a 6pt, and there would be nothing wrong with that, I mounted by first monster 80' class 7 pt.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:37 PM

Double creek I agree with you that is why if one of our guys son or daughter want's to take a 6 point for their first deer they are more than welcome to without breaking any rules. I don't know of a father that would not mount their child first buck for them. Getting a kid hooked on hunting by allowing them to shoot one sub par deer in yours or my books is not going to have a major impact on the herd and no one could be cold hearted enough to take that chance away from a kid or they are hunting for the wrong reasons. Beside all the kids have just as much fun wearing out the does.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mount every buck I kill., right behind my belt buckle. I am starting to get a pretty impressive collection
Old 07-14-2004, 01:44 PM

I think it's a good rule, and would love to convince the guys in my club to do the same. However, I'd make one change, and that would be you have the option of donating the going rate of the mount to the club, putting it towards next years lease. That way there's still the same motivation, but it would benefit everyone. I mean, how many mounts can you have? I have 4 on my wall, and probably wouldn't mount more than one or two more whitetails my whole life, but I'd sure like to shoot more than that. Life would be sad if I could only shoot a couple more bucks, and life would be sadder if my wife saw many more deer heads on the wall. [
Old 07-14-2004, 01:53 PM

6ptsika I agree with what you are saying but the guys I hunt with are to big of jokers. They would be waiting at the school for one of the other guys kids to get out of school to bring him hunting. I can here it right now go ahead Billy shoot that deer right there so your dad can pay for everyones lease next year. Just kidding but point well taken will see if they will go for it. Knowing these guys they would rather eat the mount than pay for their buddies hunting for next year.