Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree stand height & Summit Climbers >

Tree stand height & Summit Climbers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree stand height & Summit Climbers

Old 07-12-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Tree stand height & Summit Climbers

What is everyone's favorite / recommended tree stand height - considering a deer periphereal vision and your scent? Also, I am taking a trip next week to my sister's in PA. Plan to make a long awaited trip to the new Cabela's. Have never been there before, and I am considering buying a Summit climbing tree stand. Do you guys like yours. How is its stability?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tree stand height & Summit Climbers

Baker,
I don't think anyone could go wrong with a Summit climber......as stable as they come, simple climbing and the newest X4 designs are great.
If I needed a new climber it would be the newest version of the Cobra. As it stands all I need is a set of the new climbing stirrups. The only thing I have ever been uncomfortable doing in a stand is strapping my feet into the old straps......now that is corrected and I think made what is IMO already the best climbing stand on the market the perfect one.
Enjoy Cabela's......it's a trip!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:47 PM

i really hate heights but i feel pretty secure in my summit especially once i get to hunting height and get it strapped to the tree.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm used to hunt from 12 to 15 feet for years. The last two years I've been going 18 to 22 feet up. Results.......I see way more deer........get much closer shots .......and haven't been busted in to years(unless I've purposley chased them away).

good Luck!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:49 PM

15 to 20 ft is how high I go. Sometimes the surrounding trees dictate how high you can go to get a clean shot.

i really hate heights but i feel pretty secure in my summit especially once i get to hunting height and get it strapped to the tree
Kro, you should attach your self to the tree before you start your climb for safety sake.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:55 PM

Being that I work at Cabela's I welcome your trip. However, when it comes to the aluminum Summit climbing treestands I have personally seen numerous returns on the pre-X4 designs due to collapsing of the rear supports on the rear (tree connection portion) of the foot platform (we even pulled them off of our floor for the duration of the Christmas season 2003). The new curved design is not just for your feet but for improved stabilization and safety. The new non X4 have been improved as well.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Matt/pa Summit makes excellent stands that are safe, quiet stable and comfortable. I like the Goliath stand as it's very roomy. Which model you prefer depends on what features you like in a stand. One thing is for sure, Summit has a large enough selection to make your head spin!!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:45 AM

Kro, you should attach your self to the tree before you start your climb for safety sake

my safety harness is the first thing i attach, it takes a little longer climbing since i have to keep moving it up the tree ahead of me, but i feel much better with it attached. in the previous post i was talking about the strap that anchors the stand once i have finished climbing
Old 07-13-2004, 06:01 AM

I've will only used Summit stands.Starting with their first Viper, that was all steel,then the first all aluminun Viper,and now the Viper X4.All of the Summit stands have been comfortable,easy to use,and rock solid.At 20 pounds,you can't beat it,neither can any other stand company.Buy one,you won't be sorry.
As far as climbing,I like getting to the point that my eyes get big or my nose starts to bleed,just kidding.I average between 22-26 feet up.I use a 30 foot bow pull-up rope as a guide for height.Also,a lot of the property I hunt is very hilly,so I have to get "up there"to compensate for that...Bob
Old 07-13-2004, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

First let me say that I use a Summit Viper and like it. Now let me say that I looked at the Tree Walker this weekend and really liked it. So while your looking look at that stand

Quick Reply: Tree stand height & Summit Climbers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.