HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   need help with braodhead alignment (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/65825-need-help-braodhead-alignment.html)

silbowhunter 07-11-2004 05:08 PM

need help with braodhead alignment

Hello
I have always used Thunderhead broadheads so alignment was never a problem because of the rubber O-rings.
This spring I bought a 2004 Hoyt Ultramag so I thought I would give the Muzzy broadheads a try and also make the move from aluminum to carbon arrows.
So know I am having problems aligning the broadhead to the vains, because the Muzzies don't use O-rings

Thanks in advance for any help!

bigbulls 07-11-2004 06:00 PM

RE: need help with braodhead alignment

You DO NOT need to align tne broadhead blades to the vanes. The only possible way for that to actually make any difference in flight would be for your arrows to be flying at a perfectly constant speed, the wind speed would have to be perfectly constant and either directly head on or directly from the rear. You would have to know exactly how fast your arrows are spinning in order to offset your broadhead blades to travel through the same air as your vanes.

So this will never offer you any benefit at all because none of this is actually possible and even if it were once one thing changed, like your arrow slowing down after it leavs your bow, or the wind speed changing, or the wind changing directions, or you shooting at a different angle, etc.... the whole formula that you would have calculated for this would be for nothing.

BGfisher 07-11-2004 06:50 PM

Again,, You do not need to align your broadheads to the vanes. To prove this just think. How would you align a four blade braodhead to your three fletches? They do have to be aligned with the shaft.

Kanga 07-11-2004 11:00 PM

Yep once again you dont have to align the blades with the vanes.
Just put them on and spin test them to make sure they spin true.

slobbyrobby33 07-11-2004 11:10 PM

BGfisher - How do you align the broad head to the shaft?

Kanga 07-11-2004 11:24 PM

How do you align the broad head to the shaft?

Make sure the BH is square to the shaft otherwise when you spin test them they will wobble.

BGfisher 07-12-2004 07:09 AM

Robby, you have to get the broadhead square with the shaft. The test is to spin them and see if there is any wobble. Sometimes you get them wobble-free by switching them around on the shafts. Today's broadheads are normally accurately made. The problem is usually the inserts themselves. The heads square up to the insert when tightened. If the insert is off a little the head will wobble. Here again, this assuming that the insert is on a straight shaft. Montec makes a squaring tool that hand-machines the end of the insert to square it. This can help. I'm sure others here will explain how to spin test and adjust your heads.

mobow 07-12-2004 11:18 AM

I just made the same switch myself. I also bought a Hoyt, and tuning was a breeze. I am shooting 4 blade, 100 gr muzzy, and after I spun them and aligned the head to the arrow ( no wobble), they flew straight and true. If you need more help go to www.beman.com and copy the Easton guide to bow and arrow tuning. This helpled me al ot.