Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 rattling question >

rattling question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rattling question

Old 07-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default rattling question

i was wondering where you think the best place to rattle is: deeper in the woods where it is halfway thick or out close to the edge of a field where it is flat and almost grass
Old 07-09-2004, 10:12 PM

Default RE: rattling question

I'll be honest i've had luck in both spots but it seems i get alot more when i'm deeper in the woods
Old 07-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Typical Buck

I have had better luck deep in the woods, but you have to be more alert b/c they will be on you before you know it.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normally i find if im rattling I would have more luck a little deeper in the bush,maybe closer to the bedding area,really seems to get them riled up
Grunting seems to work just as good in the open or in the woods,I haven't really seemed to notice much of a difference.
I usually find that the only time a buck will respond to rattling in the open is during the peak of the rut when does are hanging around
Old 07-10-2004, 03:43 PM

I would say in the deep woods with some thick cover. sounds like more buck habitat. i havent tried rattling in the open. One of the bucks i rattled in last year i pulled out of some thicker cover while i was approximately 50 yards from a field. the cover in the area, however, was fairly thick.

slayer
Old 07-10-2004, 09:45 PM

I'll spend all day rattling. I walk around, find a nice place that looks good, settle down, start rattling, then about 30 minutes I repeat the process. I like rattling where heavy brush meets an open space (ex. ranch roads, senderos, gas pipelines) because I can see alot better and can age the bucks better when they respond. Around here rattling can be pretty good just about anywhere on the ranch, especially right before and during the peak of the rut.