Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How would you hunt this land (Satellite Pictures) >

How would you hunt this land (Satellite Pictures)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How would you hunt this land (Satellite Pictures)

Old 07-09-2004, 01:11 AM

Default How would you hunt this land (Satellite Pictures)

Hey Im sorry to do this but it pertains to deer hunting , rifle and bow, so to save space on the board I made a link top the post.
Deer Hunting Forum
Old 07-09-2004, 01:28 AM

Default RE: How would you hunt this land (Satellite Pictures)

Guys?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:13 PM

I would pick 2 or 3 of the areas that the deer have been most active and make sure they face different ways so you can pick the area that the wind will be on your side no matter what direction it is blowing!!
Old 07-09-2004, 08:47 PM

Scout the territory, find the food sources, identify what foods will most likely be visited most often during particular parts of the season, establish where the bedding area is that is most often used, find the most used routes from the bedding areas to food/water sources, set up somwhere along the route(s), especially a funnel, sit and wait.

Maps are a valuable tool, but in the end you still have to get down on the ground and find the deer.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:53 PM

The top pond looks like a nice spot, as ponds are always a great mid-day spot, especially when there is bedding and food sources near by, which that spot has!

Now, the lower pond is a great looking spot also. There is a funnel there and if deer are moving to it to get a drink, they will more than likely come from that funnel.

If it my land to hunt, I would SCOUT HARD! There aren't a ton of defining characteristics that make a certain spot that much better than any other spot. Start with field edges. Walk around the edges and look for deer trails leading into the woods. Follow those trails and see where they lead. This will help you find bedding areas and maybe you will find some funnels caused by the thick briars. I would also look near the ponds! I have found ponds to be one of the best spots to hunt in the early part of season. Alot of guys hunt small holes in streams, but the way I see it is that there is a whole stream, how are you going to pick a certain spot for that deer to drink when they have miles of other spots! Also, talk to the farmer and see what is going to be planted in the fields when you plan to hunt! You don't want to scout a certain field all summer and when season rolls around find that it was plowed over and the deer aren't hitting it.

Other than that, I can't really say much, just get out there and watch the deer and keep track of their movements!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't focus on where the heavy doe sightings have been. I would need to find an area where there are a cluster of rubs, this will be the staging area near the buck bedding area. I would use the rubs to map out how the bucks are using the terrain. It may be the case that there are impenetrable areas but it will be in those areas that the bucks make their home and you need to know where those areas are in order to setup on them. In this particular case you have too many food sources and terrain features so that figuring funnels and the like won't help you as much here. You really need to do your homework in terms of scouting and let the sign tell you what the bucks are doing, forget conventional wisdom let your woodsmanship tell you how you should setup. You're not going to see it now but in the fall when scrapes start showing up is when you'll really be able to put the pieces together. So I would get real educated in terms of what the rubs tell you now and let the sign in the fall fill in the blanks.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:08 AM

Hoopy, check your Private Messages.

-Rob
Old 07-10-2004, 07:08 PM

what site did you use to get the image.....wondering so I can get one of mine
Old 07-10-2004, 07:29 PM

Get down wind.
good luck.