Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Game cam Tips and Tricks >

Game cam Tips and Tricks

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game cam Tips and Tricks

Old 09-20-2004, 02:37 PM

Default RE: Game cam Tips and Tricks

I have had problems with grass adn weeds. The reason for this is because the sun will heat up the tips of the grass or weeds, causing there to be enough heat and movement to set off the camera. Putting the camera in a shady area really helps.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im amazed at the quality of the photos ive got off my stealth cam. For a cheap camera it takes great photos. However mines a pain in the rear to set up using the test area. Always seems to shoot to the right. But one of hte photos it took of 3 does clear across the pond I had it on. At least 30 yards away. Also got 2 nice 8 points in one photo drinking at the pond. Sure wish I had a scanner!

Ive decided im hooked on these game camera and need a digital, any suggestions
Old 09-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 Camtrakkers and 2 Stealth Cams. All work great.The Camtrakker are much nicer but cost more. I have had a few problems with the Stealth Cam not catching the whole Deer ,but they are good for the most part. 4 C cell batteries will run the camtrakker for 3 months. 8 AA in the stealths last 2 weaks. Camtrakkers have better camo and lock to the tree. I know if they want it the can get it ,but at least they cant just walk away with it. My tips for both cameras are not to waste your film over a bait pile but rather a trail leading up to it . This will keep you from burning a whole roll on 1 or 2 animals. Since you can not lock the stealth cam as well I would try and hide them by using a hot glue gun and some fake leafs.You can get the fake leafs,ferns,ets. at wal mart. Glue they to the camera leaving the lens and so forth exposed. If you leave your batteries in the stealth cam past 3 weak you will not be able to rewind your film, so take fresh ones with you.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:35 PM

PAhunter, I just got back to this forum. What I mean by "no number " is that if the cameras readout says "E" thats all it will say, it has no room for a different number. The only number that will be displayed is the minute interval (to the left) and the number of pictures you want to take in that given amount of time (1-9).
Old 09-27-2004, 03:42 PM

BOWFANATIC, I see we still have a sense of humor. I like keeping the camera low because I am a leg man. Actually I get better results lower to the ground (and if the camera is too low I can still tell if its a buck or doe by the luggage even if I cant see their horns[:-])
Old 09-29-2004, 07:42 AM

Could someone give me a tip on what is a good cam to get ? been looking and it is hard to pick!!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 04:26 PM

I would go with a cheap stealth cam to start off. I had mine, broke it, and sent it in (1 year warranty) and recieved an upgraded model for nothing. Thats pretty good customer service. I recieved it about 2 1/2 weeks after I sent the broken one in. They take good pictures too. The only thing you might have to do is tape the sensor to narrow the coverage area.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand it. I took out my stealth cam a couple of weeks ago and set it up in an area where I know deer travel. I set the camera about 3-4 feet off the ground and placed it looking south across a regularly used deer trail. The place where I set the cam is in complete shade all day. I trimmed up all the limbs and overhanging branches from in front of the stealth cam. I then set the cam to test mode and walked around in front and down the trail to see if the camera was working correctly, which it seemed to be, so I left. I went out and picked up the film yesterday and was excited to see that there was 17 pics taken so I rushed it to the 1 hour photo. When I went to pick up the film I discovered that ONCE AGAIN there are randomly taken pics of nothing. There were two pics of cows crossing down the trail (taken perfectly cow in center of photo), but then there was 15 pics of absolutely nothing. I just can't figure out this camera. I've tried and tried but I can't seem to keep it from taking random pics. Some of the pics were taken at night from 10:32 every two minutes until 10:38 and then some were taken in the morning starting at 10:48 until 10:52. I just don't get it.[:@] What am I doing wrong??????
Old 09-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

John Deer , How far from the trail was the camera set up? The closer the narrower the sensor cone. I usuall place mine 15-20 ft off the trail. We have 5 stealth's, 1 cuddeback & 1 leaf river (on the way)
Old 09-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was set up about 15 feet off the trail. I thought that since the two pics of the cows turned out fine and the cows were in the center of the picture that if something was setting off the camera it should have been in the picture also.

Quick Reply: Game cam Tips and Tricks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.