Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Game cam Tips and Tricks >

Game cam Tips and Tricks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game cam Tips and Tricks

Old 08-13-2004, 12:35 PM

Default RE: Game cam Tips and Tricks

Nice pic Donovanj
Old 08-13-2004, 03:52 PM

In case any are interested in responses we just received elsewhere (including a response from Cuddeback), regarding this problem:

From Cuddeback:

Bruce,

The image you see is generally caused by one of three things:

1) The media card was removed while the image was being saved

2) The batteries were weak (Always use brand new Duracell or Energizer batteries, other brands do not have sufficient current capacity to run the camera.

3) The Smart Media card is defective.

If you do not think one of the above is the cause of the problem call our tech service department.

Thanks,

Mark

---

My thoughts:

1: While the camera was strapped to a tree was the weather very hot or very cold? The media card may not be rated for extremes of temperature.

2: What about humidity? Again the media card may have been operating outside its specification.

3: Is the camera rated for extremes of temperature and/or humidity? The CCD may have been affected. I say this because, although the bad image files were dated incorrectly, the logfile (.txt file) was OK meaning that part of the camera system was working OK (updating and writing the .txt file to the media card) while another part was not (capturing the images and writing them to the media card).

4: The camera batteries of course would also be affected by extremes in temperature and humidity: particularly if it got very cold, the batteries would be unable to delivery their full charge and so maybe that resulted in the camera/media card operating at a borderline power level.

Just a few possibilities (excluding mischievous deer and aliens ;-))

---

Your files are corrupted. I've seen the same thing happen when files posted on the internet are damaged during downloading. The fact that your time and date is wrong on these pics supports this notion. It is almost certainly a hardware problem possibly due to a bad memory card. Try using the camera for a while with a different memory card to make certain the problem is not in the camera itself.

---

I thought to post this in case you should ever experience this or know/will know someone who has/will.

Fortunately our warranty has not expired, though close! Mark Cuddeback responded quickly (this was nice) to our problem. I have faith that he will correct the problem, should the problem be with the camera itself.

Yesterday my husband set the cam up again and in a week, he is going to swap out the media card for the one that originally came with the cam (Viking). Hopefully it's just the card: a quick, easy and inexpensive sollution.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should pay a little closer to my advise. Just developed my roll of 24 and had just that many pictures of corn field. All taken within 2 hours of my new placement. Darn tree branch.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:57 PM

I have used a moultrie feeders cam since last November. I have not had any problem with this camera. I think it cost about 120. The only big problem I had was it did not take any pictures for three weeks yet there was a ton of tracks around it.

RBBH tip of the day---- make sure the camera is turned on when you leave it in the woods for three weeks, if you don't there will be no pics.

have fun!
Old 08-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

[/quote]
RBBH tip of the day---- make sure the camera is turned on when you leave it in the woods for three weeks, if you don't there will be no pics.
Thats funny. Thats something that I would do when I realy want pic. from a new area.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:08 AM
Fork Horn

I've got the same camera RBBH and yes I've left it off before too. But I have a question for you. Do you use the 6 extra batteries everytime or is this a waste? I think last year all my pics came out over the feeding stations with just the AA's in the camera but trail locations had fewer pics and I needed the reserve power. For what it's worth $99.00 it's very very good and shoots great pics.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:47 AM

I just rotate the batteries in the summer and fall. About every 3 weeks I put a new set of bats in the camera, then take the old bats and put them in the reserve. Replacing the oldest ones. I have never had a problem.
Now, when it gets cold(below 45 or so) I always make sure I have fresh bats. In the camera itself I like the lithiums. They can take the cold really well.

Old 08-19-2004, 02:59 PM

hey river bottom I have the same camera, I live down the road in Patoka.
The only problem I see is the camera itself is junk!
Where in Fay Co. do you live?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:59 PM

When I put my Stealth Cam up, all I get is pictures of the trees but 80% of the weeds in front of the camera were removed. In some of the pictures it looks like I can see eyes inside the trees but I cant see any part of a deer's body. Can someone tell me the things that I'm doing wrong?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer-Slayer22

Its likely that an animal is triggering the camera - outside your shutter view. It could be its too far out - or under/over/left/right of the veiw but inside the trigger cone. I get this problem when turkeys walk close to the camera - Sometimes I get a "Turkey Head" in the shot.

Also the flash on the stealth is not very strong - even with good batteries. Deer outside the flash range might trigger the shots - but you cannot see them. Keep in mind that even in daylight - the deer really should be 10ft-20ft from the camera to make out detail.

To fix the distance of flash problem - position the camera to take advantage of a natural blocker - like a blowdown, or a hedgerow between the camera and where the deer should cross. If for instance on a logging road - the camera should shoot across the road not down it- prefferably with some large tree trunks or a blowdown across.

To fix the turkey example - Sometimes I position the camera lower - or maybe higher at a steeper angle down.

I know other people who duct tape the sensor - to narrow the triggering cone of the device - I have not needed to do this with my Stealth Cams.

Good luck - and keep experimenting.

Quick Reply: Game cam Tips and Tricks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.