Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?! >

Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Old 07-03-2004, 09:14 PM

Default RE: Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Fellas...I think that you have to look at it this way. That law is in place for the stupid people in this world. It's too bad that the laws can't be changed or tweeked for those who are responsible and know what they are doing.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:52 AM

A law prohibiting the shooting of arrows, a lethal missile, in any populated area makes very good sense to me.

Such law exists in my community and I fully support it.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I had close neighbors, I used my own house as a back-up backstop in case everything failed and the arrow still made it past the target that far. If you are worried that you might possibly damage your own house by a failure of some kind, then definitely do not put a target where it could deopardize someone else.

I think that these laws are in place to protect homeowners from those who don't take proper precautions with their target placement. I would like to see common sense prevail and targets be placed wisely and the law done away with.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is a thread going on right now in the offseason forum. This is exactly why these laws are in place. Far down on the thread is the answer where it came from.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=673172
Old 07-04-2004, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a buddy shooting over my house one day, years ago, and he couldnt draw his bow very well... on his draw back, he accidentaly let go and the arrow went flying over the wood lot and stuck in the neighbors ROOF... Think how i FELT when i had to go to my neighbors and tell them there was an arrow stuck in their roof....
Old 07-04-2004, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm on the edge of the town limit's and I shoot my bow in my back yard and in my mother in laws back yard as well. As of yet I've heard no complaint's, and I've yet to hear of a law that say's that I can't .I even had a police officer stop and walk up to watch me shoot my bow in my mother in laws yard .I guess if there was a law in my little town he would have told me about it .

nubo
Old 07-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

No laws here yet. Our property is getting tighter to shoot due to the new house going up out back. Time to move.

A law would be good for some people. I've seen ranges where the aim of fire was pointed directly at a State road. I sure hope a picket fence stops a stry arrow, for his sake and a potential driver.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:57 AM

There are a lot of towns with such ordinances. I live in the country and I shoot out to 45 yards in my yard and also the neighbor owns a lot along the creek beside my house where I can shoot out to 100 yards if I want to. I teach a 4 class on archery weekly in that lot. I have good backstops and also have ribbons blocking off entrances which people could come in behind the targets.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

To be honest with you I can understand the concern in certain neighborhoods where houses are tightly packed and not everyone as is safety conscious as it sounds you are. I do the same as David...shoot when nobody is out and within the confines of the fenced-in yard. It is legal to shoot here though. In fact, Fred (MrFritz44)'s buddy, has a nice multi-target course set up behind his townhome.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:07 PM

It is illegal to discharge a FIREarm in my city, Although the ordinance states "firearm" the ordinance clearly lists what is considered a firearm, bow and arrow, pellet gun, slingshot as well as other forms of weaponry even throwing a rock! Archers/bow hunters around here have bag targets and 3Ds set up in their backyards. I suppose if you were to miss EVERYTHING! and land one in Mr. Jones' backyard fence or roof you would be liable. That is if Mr. Jones cared a hoot. Albeit it is wrong to discharge a firearm in the city I think a person should weigh the consequences of an errant shot and find other suitable means to practice the art. I am fortunate enough to live in a state/county/city where a greater percentage of the citizens obey the laws. All it takes is one bad apple to shut down the unspoken practice of "discharging a firearm" in the city limits. You know, where you have to constanly look over your shoulder to check for the extreme legalist who may be looking to shut down your activity and cause you grief. nuff said

Quick Reply: Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.