Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Favorite Deer Hunting Scent Product?? >

Favorite Deer Hunting Scent Product??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite Deer Hunting Scent Product??

Old 02-23-2002, 05:57 PM

Default Favorite Deer Hunting Scent Product??

Hey folks,just wondering..with all the scent products on the market nowadays,which do you use during the different times of the season/how do you use it.I've been using scents for quie awhile,but would like to hear yalls opinion....whackman
Old 02-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Deer Hunting Scent Product??

Most of the time my favorite scent is no scent at all, because I don't want to draw any attention to my location.That's why most of the season I wear 2 layers of carbon and then spray myself head to toe with Carbon Blast.The only time I won't mind using scent products is at my mock scrapes,in which I will run several in prime areas.For this I like to use Tinks'69 in a dripper and some Still Steamin' Buck Semen.I have done some experimenting in the last few seasons with Deer Scense smoke sticks and they seem to be very promising.I see also that Tinks' is now manufacturing smoking scent as well.I still believe however, that for most occasions,the best scent is none at all.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2002, 07:57 PM

I also agree, I just spray myself down with coverscent and also also I use HS scent fresh earth. If you have chosen a good stand sight the deer will come as long as they don't smell or see you. Carl Ellik
Old 02-24-2002, 05:35 AM
JPS

For cover scent I use home made pine scent or fox urine.Early in the season I have had good luck with Bob Kirchners Curiosity and Trailmaker,about mid Oct. I switch to Silvertop or James Valley scents.To lay a trail I spray down good with scent killer,put on boot pads and squirt some lure on them,Silvertop works great for this.I usually start 50-75 yards from stand then pass stand on upwind side 20 yards or so,dont cross down wind of stand.To position deer I usally put it out about 15-20 yards on each side in case one comes down wind they should hit lure before they get to me.My dad hunts cross wind all the time with the lure in front of his stand 20 yards or so blowing into bedding areas or travel areas.He has good luck hunting this way but I like to keep the wind in my face.Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:54 AM

Scent Lok suit.Scent blocker or scent killer sprays for better eliminating.We use BK Curiousity in Sept. and off and on through the season.On occasion in Sept. or early Oct. I'll use James Valley or Bob Kirschners rut scent when I know I got a bock working the area.Now I know this sounds strange because the rut isn't going on,but I've had it work!A smell of a hotty has made the bucks a little silly,even in early season.This canalso spook the boys so we don't use this trick often.During the rut I'll run a drag line with a JV or BK scent and then set scent bombs out by stands.My best scent trick is the deer farm across the road from me.The owner let's us know when he has a hot doe and we hunt trails leading to this spot.Now that's scent!!
Old 02-24-2002, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

The best cover scent I have found is the wind in my face. Anything will work then unless that old big buck sneaks in behind-which they seem to do.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

I play the wind also to the best of my advantage but up here at least the wind swirls around pretty bad. One minute it may be in your face and the next at your back - makes things pretty difficult.
I also use a scent block suit and the HS fresh earth wafers. This was first year with those wafers as a cover and I'll use them again next year.
I can honestly say that i did not notice any adverse effects only positive.