Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother? >

Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother?

Old 06-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother?

I have received this magazine for approximately 4 years now and I can't remember a time when they gave anything but 4 1/2 stars on any bow!

Looks to me like they do not want to upset their advertisers by giving them a poor score.

I wonder what else they editorialize in favor of their advertisers instead of the common unbiased good of their readership.

Has anyone else recognized this?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother?

Yep - it's all about the $$$ from advertising.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I AGREE WHAT A JOKE![X(][:'(]
Old 06-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have noticed the same thing. Can anybody recommend a good bow hunting magazine? I know they all have their share of BS but I like to have a couple of magazines at the old huntn' shack.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wihunter402

I have noticed the same thing. Can anybody recommend a good bow hunting magazine? I know they all have their share of BS but I like to have a couple of magazines at the old huntn' shack.
I enjoy Petersens..barring the bow reviews..

Most entertaining mag is Traditional Bowhunter. But I got tired of the anti-compound propaganda BS spewing from from TJ Conrads mouth every month , so I cancelled my sub. Man has issues.

Bowhunting World is good. Haven't cared for Bowhunter since the mid-90s.

Bowhunt America is OK, as is Bow & arrow Hunting.

But I stopped all my subs...same $hit every month, regurgitated every year, year after year. I'll pick up bowhunting world or bowhunt america @ the shop on occasion.

I understand Eastmans Bowhunting Journal is pretty good though centered on Western game.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the bows they test are in the middle to upper end range? At that level is there really a such thing as a bad bow? I tried 3 of the top bows when I was looking to buy and truth be known there isn't a hill of beans difference in the things that they rate as important. IMO it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:06 PM

It seems to me that for reviews, often time a magazine will just print (often word for word) what ever the bow company's marketing department sends over. To me that isn't a review, but more of a collection of ads and press releases.

But I also understand they don't want to "bite the hand that feeds them" either.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always read the bow/bow equipment reviews but never give it much thought. Its more of their opinion of its for the negative side. If its on the positive side though, its better but i'd rather find out for myself because I think good or bad of an certain item(s)
Old 06-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Take JeffB's comments and past them here.

About the only thing I enjoy about the Petersen's reviews is gaining knowledge that the bow exists and what its specs are.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I think Mike said it best. When comparing mid to high range quality bows, there is not much difference except in the archer's personal preference. Matthews, Bowtech, Hoyt, Martin, PSE, Parker, and others all make some quality bows.............................they each make some bows that are less than top quality too!

Quick Reply: Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.