Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon arrows

Old 02-23-2002, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Carbon arrows

Picked up my new bow (Hoyt magnatech)at Len's the other day along with some carbons arrows. Havn't ever shot carbon before I find them extreamly difficult to remove from the target. I have one of those bag targets that allow two finger removal but with the carbons I have to stand on the target and pull on the arrow to remove it. The target has sagged a little from sitting on the ground, could this be the problem. I went out a bought a black hole target today and the arrow is still sticking in it, too tough to remove right now, don't feel like messing with it. Is there a target that will allow easy removal of carbon arrows? Oh yea, the bow shoots great, am very happy with it.

Rick
Old 02-23-2002, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Carbon arrows

They make a product to dip your carbon arrows in,it kinda looks like the ivory liqiud(spl?)that you use to wash dishes in.Did you ask your shop owner what he uses?If you look around some of the bigger shops in your area I think someone should be able to help.As far as a target,I don't shoot any of the bag type targets,we only shoot our 3d deer target.Thats the draw back of carbon arrows,they are harder to pull out of any kind of target over aluminum arrows.Good luck.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:05 PM

Howdy mdbohuntr.I shoot carbons too(Beeman ICS 400)and yep,they are tough to pull from targets.A real pain in a 3D deer target.You can put a little licuid soap on the shafts and it will help,but it's kinda messy to me.I suggest that if you don't have one,buy you an arrow puller(little hard rubber tube that wraps around the shaft to grip the shaft tightly.It has finger grips on the outside and has always worked good for me.In a pinch,you can use a jar opener(the flat rubber disc type),wrap around the shaft and it will pull most of 'em.Talk to you later.........whackman
Old 02-23-2002, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try spraying electrical grade silicon on the bottome 8-10" of the shaft. I ran out of the stuff so I've just been shooting the bag targets. No problem pulling my bemans out of that. The silicon usually works after the first shot. The first pull is usually a little rough, but after that you should be able to get another 15-20 shots off and pull the arrow out of a 3-D target much easier. Maybe it would work the same for other types of targets.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a bar of Ivory soap. I melted it & packed it in an old deodorent tube. The soap really makes a difference in removing arrows.

Phil.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

try using some car polish that will make them easier to get out as well
Old 02-23-2002, 09:10 PM

The Curse of the Carbons Resolved.

I make my own easy-pull carbon backstop targets at work by sewing a large piece of burlap into a 4' by 4' bag and filling it tightly with used stretch wrap. Cost: about $7.50, or twice that if I double bag the burlap. Carbons pull out with one hand 90% of the time. The biggest drawback is that the bunched filler (stretch wrap) sometimes causes the arrows to cant one way or another when they hit. You can't see if they are striking the target square.

We sell these targets/backstops out of our feedstore but shipping them anywhere would be so expensive that the cost would be astronomical. Maybe there is a source near you who can take this idea and fabricate one for you?

The Mouse
Old 02-23-2002, 09:39 PM

I use Carbons and i love them i've never had a problem removing them to they work purfect for me