Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Penetration without loosing speed >

Penetration without loosing speed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Penetration without loosing speed

Old 06-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default Penetration without loosing speed

I shoot a mathews ultra2 at 70lbs with a 29 inch arrow. My speed is roughly 275fps. For the past few years I have used easton acc 3-60's to hunt whitetail and have had some penetration problems. I have used mechanicals,fixed blades and cut on contact broadheads and harvested deer with them all. The fact is that I am not happy with the way in which the arrow penetrated into the deer, none were pass throughs. I shoot quite often and am very confident in my shot placement when the time arrives. I weighed my old acc's 3-60's at roughly 8.75gr per inch. I'm starting to think that maybe I need to change to CX400's at 10.0gr per inch, but do not want to fork out another $125.00 only to get the same results. Would changing my arrow weight to 10.0 gr. per inch greatly effect my arrow flight at 20-25yrds? I know penetration would improve ,but how much? Seak advice , Thank you lou-lou
Old 06-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Penetration without loosing speed

You are shooting the best arrows made , why you have not had passthrus is not because of the arrows . I hate to say it but have you checked you tune ? I dont see how someone shooting setup like yours , with 2 blade cut on contact [magnus] heads , could not shoot thru about 4 deer standing shoulder to shoulder .

Adding 29 grains to your arrow will do littel to help with penitration , and you would be shooting a lesser quality , less accurate arrow .
Old 06-26-2004, 07:35 PM

I shoot a lighter arrow than you - just a tad faster - use mechanicals - and blow thru almost every deer I hit - unless major bone is contacted. penetration in a complete non-issue for me.

I would also supect your tune
Old 06-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

No way would I give up ACCs for a lesser quality arrow. BTW, the weight of an ACC 3-60 is 9.45 gpi. Assuming a 100 grain broadhead, your arrow weight should be around 410 grains. Shooting 410 grains @ 275fps will give you plenty of KE to blow through a whitetail unless you hit major bone. I would check the tuning on your bow. Bare shaft tune it to be absolutely sure your arrows are flying straight and true to the target. If they are fishtailing or porpoising, they will lose a lot of energy when they hit an animal.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Adding 29 grains to your arrow will do littel to help with penitration
I respectfully disagree.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

I may have to agree with this post. I'm shooting a 2000 Jennings Buckmaster. 70#, with 29" draw. I shoot a pretty heavy arrow. I don't recall the g/si. Shooting Carnon express Terminator 6075 hunters topped w/ 125 muzzy head. I'm shooting well under 275 f/s. I'm at 230 f/sec. Both deer I hit last year....shot right through em. No reason you should not be getting good penetration/pass throughs. I think there is something missing here. There is no problems with the equipment you own. Maybe just the tuning. Papertune it again. Good luck, save some $$$$$$

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

You are shooting the best arrows made , why you have not had passthrus is not because of the arrows . I hate to say it but have you checked you tune ? I dont see how someone shooting setup like yours , with 2 blade cut on contact [magnus] heads , could not shoot thru about 4 deer standing shoulder to shoulder .

Adding 29 grains to your arrow will do littel to help with penitration , and you would be shooting a lesser quality , less accurate arrow .
Old 06-27-2004, 07:33 AM

It's a tuning issue !! If your arrow is still wobbling at all on impact your going to lose a lot of energy !

I shot a 30" Ultra2 with 3-60 A/C/C's for 2 seasons and blew through deer with mechanical's including 2" cut rocket Hammerheads !

You can start with paper tuning.....then I'd group tune.......then broadhead tune !!

I can't help but comment on a comment you made on another post about WB rests and fletching contact !! I am suspecting you haven't tried one ..........and I disagree with your statement about contact ! And I know a drop away is not without issues !!

I think you need to check your bow tune and check for contact.........even if it is a drop away !!
Old 06-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

The others touched upon the likely culprit. Generally speaking, the only three things that affect penetration are:

1. Kinetic Energy/Momentum levels

2. Shot placement

3. Sharpness of your broadhead

4. Bow tune

Since it seems you are generating enough of number 1....and you stated that your shot placement was good..... and you have tried different broadhead styles then the tune of your bow has to be the most likely problem.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

What weight broad heads are you shooting? The 1 thing that comes to my mind that no one else has mentioned is FOC. Are you shooting feathers or vaines? If you are shooting vaines you broadhead may be to heavy causing a nose down arrow flight. This is something that will bleed off alot of KE. have your pro shop run the figures on your arrow set up to be shure.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:40 AM

Woah, you don't need to buy arrows. You do not give us any clues as to why your arrows are not getting good penetration. How exactly are you not getting good penetration????? Where do they stop? At the skin, in the rib cage? in the opposite ribs? In the arm? Do you see bruising in the arm/front leg? My guess is that you are hitting the front leg but it could be a combination of the last three reasons that PAB gave.

My two cents on PABowhntr's four things that affect penetration:

1. KE/Momentum level: A 45 pound compound bow will consistantly pass through a whitetail deer without any problems. Your 70# bow will do the exact same thing. Not a factor.

2. Shot placement: If you happen to hit a major bone, as in "the front leg bones," it doesn't matter if your bow is 40# or 80#, you are not likely to get a complete pass thru. But, you should still be capable of taking out both lungs which will cause the animal to die in the same amount of time that it would take had you gotten a complete pass thru. I think that you are most likely hitting the arm on the opposite side of the animal. Do you do an autopsy to see what the arrow did? Was the leg broken? Was there any bruising? How exactly are you not getting good penetration?????

3. Sharpness of your broadhead: This could also be a factor. A scary sharp broadhead right out of the package with pass through 2 deer with ease provided that no major bones are hit. A dull broadhead will be lucky to make a complese pass through on one deer. A dull head also has a difficult time going through ribs. So how sharp are your blades?

4. Bow tune: If you arrows are wobbling in flight, they will be wobbling when they hit the animal and a side of the arrow will rub or smack up against the hide of the animal. This is very bad for penetration. You should be able to tell tho if you arrow is fishtailing and porpoising in the air. If you cannot tell for sure, then paper tune. A little wobble will not make a big difference at all. The arrows should still pass through, however, if the arrow is still wobbling alot when it hits the animals, it might have a hard time passing thru. ...well it might or it might not, it depends on how it was bending. If it was between wobbles and therefore strait, then it will pass right thru. You would be able to notice bad wobbles because they would affect your accuracy terribly.

Okay, I hope that helps and I hope you figure out why your arrows are not penetrationg good. You don't need to change arrows. Any arrow will do the exact same thing; pass right thru an animal. Anything above 40 pound is basically overkill and does the same thing, no matter arrows and gear. It is possible that it is a combination of 2, 3 and 4.