Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Selection

Old 06-25-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Bow Selection

Will be buying my first bow this week. Do I really need to spend $400 on a Matthews, Parker etc ... ? What I'm trying to ask is : should I get a low priced bow to start and learn on , or just buy the more expensive one now ? How much difference is there in the high end and basic bow ?
Old 06-25-2004, 03:43 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bow Selection

I'm not the best person to be answering this, probably, but from what I can tell, just about anything you buy these days is of pretty decent quality. The low-end beginner bows made today are probably better than the high-end ones of 10 years ago. It's probably a matter of just how serious are you at this point and how much your budget can afford.

One thing you might want to consider is trying an alternative which may get you the best of both worlds; look at some of the used top-end bows (or even used intermediate bows) - that way you can actually get better quality than what you're paying for, as long as you shop right.

Good luck with whatever you get!
Old 06-25-2004, 03:47 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Oh, and I forgot ... Mathews will probably be more than $400; in most cases significantly more. At least for a new one, anyway.

The thing you'll hear more than anything is this: shoot a bunch of them before you buy anything. The only way to really know what you need to know about the bow is to see how it works for you.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:50 PM

slugman,

I also am not the best to answer this question, however if you feel you are gonna like this wonderful sport of bowhunting enough to be shooting for a while then I would go with a bow that fits you the best. Just go out and try several models. See what fits your hand the best and what just feels the best to YOU. Don't listen to other people because they aren't the ones that have to shoot the bow, you do. However if you don't know if you are gonna shoot for a while, I think I would find a used bow that fit me good and buy it cheap just to start. Hope this helps a little bit.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

You definitely do not have to go the expensive route with your first bow. In fact, it may be somewhat foolish as you have yet to determine if you are going to really get into the sport. A $200 PSE Nova will kill a deer just as well as a $500 model just not as quietly, as fast and with as little recoil....

Seriously though, buy a bow like the Nova and after you have some bowhunting experience under your belt then consider an upgrade. Pass the Nova onto a friend who also wants to get into the sport.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Fork Horn

I aggree get a low end or intermediate priced bow to start off to hone your skills. My first new bow was a jenning black lightning that cost me $50 over the price of my trade in which was a Bear white tail hunter which was at least 10 years old at that time.

Do yourself a favor and go to a proshop and get set up correctly from the get go. This will save many hours of frustration. Tell the proshop that you are looking for a very forgiving bow that is for begginers but can be used to hunt. Something like a PSE NOVA, Bear, or Jennings have good bows for beginners.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say whatever bow and price you are most comfortable with is the best way to go.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

slugman,
I had that same question playing in my mind this past week. I wanted to buy the Matthews outback just because everyone said it was so great. $599.00 for the Outback with no equipment on it. I was ready though. Money all laid out. The bowshop tech had me shoot two different Matthews bows and a few other brands. I ended up with a Hoyt Ultramag for $375. It just felt very good to hold and draw. It was everybit as smooth and quiet as I thought a bow should be. I got a bow that I am proud to own and had $225 left over for add ons and a new target set up. Whatever you do, just enjoy the hunt for your new bow and you will make the right choice.

Jim
Old 06-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Spike

My first bow was a Bear whitetail II. Not very expensive at the time $125.00 new in 86. Took a few dear with it and still have it as a back up shoot real nice as long as I keep it tuned. Archery is a sport that require good shooting form, the right size bow, and the right draw weight for the archer. Many archers fill their tags every year with a budget bow and a few add ons. Happy Hunting
Old 06-26-2004, 08:32 AM

All of the above are correct - remember, deer don't care how much money you spend on equipment. You can have $5k worth of bows, arrows, scents, cover systems, etc. and if you don't scout and set up properly it's all a waste of time--and money.

Quick Reply: Bow Selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.