Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do?? >

What would you do??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do??

Old 06-24-2004, 06:41 AM

Default What would you do??

I finally decided on which new bow to purchase, now I can't decide which draw weight would be best. 50-60lbs or 60-70lbs?? With previous bows, I tend to be most comfortable around 62-64lbs. My draw length is between 29½"-30" (wing span 74") and the bow I've chosen will be strictly for hunting whitetails from a treestand.

I've read several articles that stated many compund bows are most consistent near or at the top of their peek draw weight range. For example a 60-70lbs bow is likely to be most consistant near 70lbs, rather than closer to 60lbs. Many of the shops I've talked to don't seem to have any particular opinion either way.

If you were in my situation, what draw weight range would you choose?? And why?
Old 06-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What would you do??

I prefer to shoot 70#. I have a slightly older bow (2000), so it's not wuite as fast a todays rockets. In order to get the KE I need to shoot the expandables, I pull 70#. I also shoot 125 gr. heads with a moderately heavy arrow.

my $0.02
Old 06-24-2004, 07:00 AM

skr8,

First of all, welcome to the board. In reguards to your question. Do you think in the future you will want to up your poundage? If so I would get the 60-70lb no questions asked. If you're happy shooting 62-64lbs and don't plan to bump up the poundage I'd get the 50-60lb bow. Do they make a 55-65lb bow? If they do or you can order one that sounds like it would be the best fit.
To be honest the diffrence between 60lb and 62 or 64lb is very minimal. In most cases you'll be able to get 62 or 64lb out of a 60lb bow.

If I were you I'd thnk about future plans and make a decision based upon that.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:26 AM

like adams said, it would depend on if you plan on moving your draw weight up or not. If not, I would get the 50-60 pound bow. I have a 60-70 bow and the draw weight maxes out at 74 pounds, so if you do get the 50-60 pound bow you might get a bow that maxes out above the stated weight.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you prefer to shoot in the 62-64 pound range, then I'd get the 60-70pound bow. Makes sense right. Although many people like to bottom out their bows, and go beyond the specifiactions on their bows, I like to stick with the safety issue. More then likely, the bow manufacturer that you are looking at has different limbs which are made differently for the different poundages. I'd recommend staying within those specifications and not worrying about bottoming out the bow.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:42 AM

Last night I just shot a left over Icon from last year for the first time. Smooth bow. It was a 50-60lbs model, but maxed out at only 58-59lbs when the limbs were fully wound down. 10 twists of the string brought it up to 62lbs.

I don't think I'll be increasing my draw weight anytime soon, if ever, since I have a bulging vertebral disc in my lower neck that I sure as h3|_|_ don't want to aggrevate. I plan on keeping this bow (new Icon) for many seasons (+/-7). Does anyone think the limbs may "soften" (i.e. weaken) with age??
Old 06-24-2004, 08:00 AM

An injury of that nature is nothing to mess with. If you like the feel of the Icon I'd say you're making a great choice. The speed difference in 4lbs of pull is minimal so If you like the bow and the price is fair I'd say you've found a winner.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

I'd consider the 50-60lber due to your injury. The older you get the more trouble you may have and cold weather may take its part on that neck just as Golden Horns steps into range. You may find 50-55lbs to be more comfy for you in the not to distant future. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Wasn't a question like this posted several months back? I think it was Len who responded (if not forgive me) that you should buy a bow and use it in the upper range limit. If not it won't function as good?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

SKR8, there are several good replies from both sides of the fence. I have a back injury that has started taking it's toll on me so I might be in the same boat you are, or you might be about to get in my boat with me........Who cares if a bow is more accurate when set at its upper limits, this is a hunting bow and most hunting shots are less than 20 yards, versus 3-D shoots at up to 50 yards or more. As long as you can get tight groups at 20 yards you are doing better than some people who can hit a pie plate at 20.

Some bows should not use twisted strings and some strings weren't meant to be twisted. Could twisted strings be why 2 cam bows get messed up? I don't know and don't care. when I got my bow the string wasn't twisted and I will not twist it. It is 62 pounds and that is enough for me.

As for bows being more accurate when set at their peak range, Why don't people use a simple cushion plunger rest? I know I was much, much, more accurate with one than my 2 prong rest. I would go back but I use carbons now and I had a clearance problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.